ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'v got a 1982 280zxt. I have recently replaced the coil (last week) for the no spark problem. It ran fine for a couple days then it wouldn't start again. I'v got good power going to the coil the problem appears to be on the distributor side of things. I'm in the process of checking all the connectors now. Just wanted to see what kind of ideas you guys have. One other thing I have installed a pushbutton start if that matters. I don't have the fsm yet either.
thanks in advance

G

·
0 Posts
Check the ignitor. If everything else tests out, and it probably will, you might want to replace the ignitor. Drop me a line if you have any questions. Good luck. John

·
Registered
411 Posts
One thing that I personally experienced after I did my swap and had no spark was the power transistor was bad (located on the coil mounting bracket). These things are sensitive to electricity (I found out the hard way!).
-zakaron

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is the ignitor? I only have a haynes manual now and it says nothing about an ignitor.
thanks again

G

·
0 Posts
It is that little gizmo by the coil. I've heard it called an ignitor, a power transitor and an amplifier. It receives the signal from the pick up in the distributor and sends it to the coil. I would bet if you checked your pick up in the distributor and the coil you will find they both meet with factory specs. I don't think there is a test for the ignitor. You find it through a process of elimination. One went bad on an old 82 Supra and it was $385 to replace. I just replace the one on my 86ZXT and it was around $95. Drop me a line if you have any more questions. John.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey thanks guys... That was the problem... She purrs again... Of course between the power transistor and the fsm on cdrom my wallet is about $230 lighter... but she's worth that and more...
thanks again
Jay

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.