ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a 280zx and ive just taken off the fuel injection system and installed carbs. I tried to fire it up but ive got no spark at the h t leads ? Did the ECU supply power to any part of the ignition system ? and if it did how do i go about sorting the wiring problem out?
THANX JAMES

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
What year and model 280ZX?

You have 3 basic choices.

Wayne Monteath

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
This was not a good idea.

Put the fuel injection system back on it.

The ignition module on the dizzy (wires L/Y & L/W) are connected to the ECU, Water Temperature Switch, and Throttle Position Switch so for starters the ignition module is confused. You could try the ignition module from a 79 - 81 Dizzy.

Since you have down graded the vehicles fuel system by 13 years you could try a Dizzy with points from a 1970 engine, a 7 volt ignition coil with a dropping resistor.

Wayne Monteath

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: This was not a good idea.

IVE GOT THE EARLY 2 CONNECTION MODULE ON THE DIZZY ALLREADY AND CONNECTED THE B + C CONNECTIONS TO THE COIL BUT THERE IS STILL NO SPARK. WHAT I NEED TO KNOW IS HOW TO GET POWER TO THESE PARTS BECAUSE THE ECU MUST OF SUPPLIED IT BEFORE ?
PLEASE HELP !
THANX

·
Registered
4,289 Posts

At the ignition switch find the Black / White wire. Check for continuity between it and the '+' side of the coil. Then check for continuity between the same connection at the ignition switch and the Brown wire at the Ignition module.

Check for continuity between the '-' side of the coil and the Blue wire at the Ignition Module.

With the key in the "run" position you should get 12 V at the '+' terminal of the coil as well as at the Brown wire at the Ignition Module.

Put an analogue volt meter between the '-' side of the coil and ground. When you crank the engine the meter needle should deflect each time the Dizzy tries to fire the coil. You can not use a DVM for this, an analogue meter or an oscilloscope is required.

Inside the Dizzy find the red and green wires for the Pick-up Coil. The resistance should be around 400 ohms.

Since you have removed the stuff that you had, does the Fuel Pump still run for 5 seconds and then shut off when you turn the key to the "run" position?

Did you change the Fuel Pump yet?

Wayne Monteath
Masham, Quebec.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

HEY THANX FOR THE HELP, ILL GO THROUGH ALL THAT STUFF AT THE WEEK END, AS FOR THE FUEL PUMP IVE PUT A NEW PUMP ON WHICH PUMPS OUT ABOUT 4 PSI AND I WIRED IT TO THE OLD SUPPLY THAT USED TO POWER THE ECU AND ALSO FITTED A KILL SWITCH. AS FOR THE WIRING I FIGURE IT CAN ONLY BE A FUSEABLE LINK OR THE IGNITION MODULE OR MAYBE AN EARTH, THE MODULE WORKED WHEN I PULLED IT BUT IVE HAD IT BEFORE WHEN YOU THINK "THAT BIT IS OK AND BYPASS IT THEN SPEND A WEEKEND CHECKING EVERYTHING ELSE THEN THINK I WILL CHECK IT AND FIND THAT WAS THE PROBLEM ALL ALONG!!
THE REASON IVE SWAPPED TO CARBS IS MY FUEL INJECTION WAS ALWAYS PLAYING UP FOR ONE REASON OR ANOTHER AND HERE IN THE UK YOU CARNT JUST GO AND GET NEW PARTS LIKE YOU GUYS CAN SO I THOUGHT THIS WOULD BE THE BEST OPTION AS THE SU'S ARE MADE ABOUT 60 MILES FROM WHERE I LIVE SO NO PROBLEM THERE.

THANX AGAIN

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ALSO NOW IVE GOT RID OF THE ECU CAN I PUT A HIGHER OUTPUT COIL ON THE CAR, I READ SOMEWHERE THAT THIS WOULD HAVE AFFECTED THE ECU BEFORE ?

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Marconi Centenary.

On 12 December 1901 the first transatlantic radio message was transmitted from the southwest of England nearly 3000 km to a hut in Newfoundland. For more information on some of the events marking the centenary please visit:

http://www.soton.ac.uk/~thunder/atlantic-leap/frame.html

100 years later international communications have improved dramatically, there is no longer a requirement to shout.

The output of the ignition coil has absolutely nothing to do with the ECU. It is a very simple step up transformer. 12 V goes in, 40,000 to 50,000 volts come out.

Wayne Monteath
Masham, Quebec.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Marconi Centenary.

IT WAS TRANSMITTED FROM A PLACE CALLED CLEVEDON WHICH IS ABOUT 1 MILE FROM MY HOME !!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.