ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1980 Nissan-Datsun 280ZX 6-2753cc 2.8L SOHC (L28E)
FI. 5speed. "non-turbo"
no spark come out from the coil , but the engine
still cranks hard. then we try with one spark plug out connected to the wire & i dont get " spark" either.
"we try my friend's "280zx 80 coil" in my car & it won't send a spark. we try with he's spark.p wires & no spark .what else could i do ?
how can i check why this coil is not sending a spark.?

we found that the fuel pump was off . Only with the relay for the fuel pump out it will turn on. That's like a short circuit right? Then we try cranking
the engine with the fuel pump on = with no relay & it will not start either. like i said "there is no spark "right?

Any other relays,fuses for the fuel pump that anybody know in this car ? how can i check why this relay will not let the fuel pump turn on.?
tomorrow we are looking at the ignition key inside to get it out to see if the white part is soft or to see if someone use another key to start this car and broked. also iam going to use my coil with the cable connected, and that relay for the fuel pump, in my friend 280zx80 to see if they work.& recheck the order of wires also & will try the cap & rotor i have, in his 280zx80 his car is in perfect conditions.
Any advised are welcome?

ps: should i try a rebuild ignition distributor at
"pep boys they are $145.00 with core for 280zx80 w/ ic modular, brand-CARDONE.
thank you in advanced [email protected]

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>HAD THE SAME TYPE PROBLEM!!!</b>

I was drivin along and kaput! It died. I was able to do some minor trouble shooting on the spot and determined that the problem was electrical. All accessories came on but no spark from the coil at all. I had been having some problems with the ignition - I would turn the key and the buzzer would come on one click too early - sometimes I would turn the key and no spark. Play with the key and it would fire. So any how like I had said it totally died yesterday, I was able to take it to the Z shop and the guy said it was the IGNITION RESISTOR. It is located on the passenger side under the dash. Its a black box about 6inches square. It cost me $185 bucks and it took about 2 hours to diagnose and fix.

Good luck
Craig76Z

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
RE: no spark come out from the coil, but the engin

You may have a bad ignition module on the side of the distributor, most common cause of no spark on the 280zx's. Joe

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
RE: no spark come out from the coil, but the engin

I couldn't tell if you had tried this already, but check to see if your getting voltage to the coil at all (not totally sure, but it will either be 12v or like 8-9v). If the positive terminal of the coil isn't getting any juice to it, then the coil is never going to fire, and your problem is going to be the resistor that Craig76z talked about, or an igintion switch problem (or somewhere inbetween). If it is getting juice, then your problem is in the distributor somewhere, like the control module or the pickup.

jA

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: no spark come out from the coil, but the en

Perizzi, Joe is correct in suggesting that it's the ignition module on the side of the distributor. My experience with that came with the 83 280zx I had years ago. My local mechanic(who was a factory trained tech for Porsche/audi/vw in germany) diagnosed the problem in about 5 seconds without even looking at the car. I have five of these modules in stock for 79 to 81 280zx cars that I sell to my local Z guys for $25 per. All are tested with a module scanner from Mac tools so I can guarantee that these will work(for how long, I don't know). BTW, this is where the questions for the GM ign. module replacement start, so lets hear them first and then we will discount all rumours to the contrary!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.