Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,first post.

Long Story short,I just bought a 85 300zx off the side of the road for 600 bucks.

260,000 miles,if the digital odometer is correct,which I'm not certain it is looking at the wear on the car.

The body is nearly flawless except for the thin spots wearing through in the paint ,at the T's,hood,and rear quaterpanels.

It runs fine,90% of the electrical works,seats need re-upholstered,maybe an exhaust leak,and a new paintjob.

Not bad for the price I paid.I drove it home.

Anyways,the thing keeping me from driving it daily is that I have no brake/tail lights.

All other lights and electrical devices work.Except the cruise control and radio controls as someone tried to install an aftermarket headunit,who reported started "popping fuses" when he was installing the stereo.

I've checked all fuses,replaced all the bulbs,tested to see if I have power at the fuse box all check out fine so far.

My best guess is that the guy who started messing around with the stereo arc'd something in the steering column,or I just have a wire disconnected in there someplace.

I did find an instance where the guy use a length of speaker wire as a ground wire,which was fried.In the stereo/ac area.
(Among many other boneheaded things he did)

My wiring schematic shows a brake/tail sensor,but I can't seem to find where it actually is in the car.

I'm headed outside to continue troubleshooting with my test light to see where the power flow gets disrupted.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool,I thought that might be it.

Update:I have power to the brake light switch.

Checking the Tail Sensor now.(Now that I know for sure that's it :))

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I suggest obtaining the real-deal FSM.
It will save enormous amounts of head scratching with its very detailed electrial section.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do not have power at the rear end at all(for brakes and tails signals are fine)..the wire cluster at the tail sensor is dead.

Looks like Im tracing wires..ugh.

I was able to duplicate the stereo install to try to figure out the previous owners line of thinking,which still doesn't make sense.But hey,I made it work the way he had it working,maybe now I can find his mistake.

This is my first vehicle forums so please excuse my ignorance,,what is a FSM?

Manual?

My Haynes is rather vague in the wiring schematics.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
FSM = Facotry Service Manual.

I think you can get it for free at www.carfiche.com

also, go check out www.z31.com. its pretty much the bible for our cars.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like it may be the sensor afterall,I do get a voltage reading from the center prongs of the sensor harness.

Have to find a new one I guess.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
god why is the 87+ one so dang big?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.