1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELLO FELLOW Z DRIVERS.
I HAVE ENCOUNTERED A MAJOR PROBLEM .
I RECENTLY PURCHASED A REMANUFACTURED ENGINE FOR MY N/A '81 280ZX
THE ENGINE WAS ASSEMBLED IN THE FACTORY (LONG BLOCK) I ONLY ASSEMBLED THE OIL PICKUP TUBE (OIL STRAINER),OIL PUMP AND OIL PAN, THE WATER PUMP AND OTHER ACCESSORIES.
AFTER PUTTING THE ENGINE AND MAKING SURE ALL THE ELECTRICAL CONNECTIONS WERE GOOD TO GO...I FIRED IT UP FOR THE FIRST TIME. IT FIRED RIGHT AWAY AND IT SOUNDED GOOD FOR ABOUT A MINUTE...THEN I HEARD VALVETRAIN NOISES.. I LOOKED AT THE OIL PRESSURE GAGE AND IT SHOWED NO OIL PRESSURE.
I KNOW I PRIMED THE OIL PUMP.
I SPOKE TO THE ENGINE MANUFACTURE AND THEY TOLD ME TO PUT AN EXTRA 4 QUARTS OF ENGINE OIL IN THE ENGINE. I DID JUST THAT,
LONG AND BEHOLD, i SAW MY OIL PRESSURE GAGE READ ABOUT 30LBS OF OIL PRESSURE. i ALSO HEARD A SUCKING (EXCUSE ME BUT I DON'T KNOW HOW TO DESCRIBE IT ANY BETTER) NOISE COMMING FROM THE BLOCK.
I ONCE AGAIN CALLED THE MANUFACTURER, AND THEY TOLD ME I MIGHT BE HAVING A PROBLEM WITH THE OIL PICKUP TUBE. IT MIGH BE SUCKING AIR INSTEAD OF OIL.
I ALSO NOTED THAT WHEN I ALIGNED THE PUNCH MARKS ON MY NEW OIL PUMP, MY DISTRIBUTOR ROTOR POINTED AT ANOTHER DIRECTION, IT PREVIOUSLY POINTED TOWARD THE RADIATOR.

PLEASE EXCUSE THE BOOK THAT I AM WRITING. I NEED YOUR HELPFUL ADVISE.

THANKS

MARIO.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
With a new engine, you should always check for oil and oil pressure before you fire it. You can do this by removing the sparkplugs and cranking the engine until you see oil squirting out cam oiler holes. An even better way is to prime it with the oil pump even before cranking it. You can do this by removing the oil pump, removing the distributor shaft, reinstalling the oil pump, then driving the pump from the top with a long rod spun counterclockwise with an electric drill. In any case, don't try starting the engine until you see a strong flow of oil out the cam oiler holes, and the pressure looks good.

I would say that your problem is a poor seal between the oil pickup tube and the block. Did you remember to install the gasket? Do you have oil flowing from the cam lobes?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.