ZCar Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
6,812 Posts
Fairly easy to check for a high current leak from alty. Put a DC ammeter between the battery terminal and the ground connector. You'll see greater than 1 amp current draw. Now pull the fusible links one at a time until the draw stops and note the circuit. Other way is to disconnect the connectors behind the passenger headlamp area...one of those goes to the alty ( I just don't remember which one).

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Fairly easy to check for a high current leak from alty. Put a DC ammeter between the battery terminal and the ground connector. You'll see greater than 1 amp current draw. Now pull the fusible links one at a time until the draw stops and note the circuit. Other way is to disconnect the connectors behind the passenger headlamp area...one of those goes to the alty ( I just don't remember which one).
Thanks.

A DC ammeter. Like one of those clamp on deals. i don't have one. :frown

·
Registered
6,812 Posts
Thanks.

A DC ammeter. Like one of those clamp on deals. i don't have one. :frown
Clamp on is for AC usually. Just need a decent digital multimeter, most can measure up to 5 DC Amps or so...

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Pretty Sad. FIVE months and I am now working on this. I have started the car a couple of times since the beigning of this post. Last time maybe 6 weeks ago. She fires on the first crank.
Got the garage cleared out and ready to work. "Welcome broken down Z, please enter."

Spent night 1 tearing it down. I know that I did not need to pull the fascia, but I had other things that needed to get done, including a new cover. Been a while since I pulled it. Took way too long to do, including all of the splash shields.

Mocked up my new bumper. IF you have ever seen my Z you will know that I had a black aftermarket OEM styled TT bumper cover. It was terrible. Fitment was poor, and I just left it black. Bought this one MANY years ago. Finally time to mount. It is a JDM OEM TT. Big square bumper holes for the front license plate mount. I am going to install a front plate. Though I have never been pulled over for not having one, I do go through the California agricultural inspection station often when returning from Reno. With a Ca front plate they just wave you through. Without they ask a bunch of questions. I like to be as legal as possible with my older age.

Finally I have the Alternator out. What a PITA. I knew going into it that it was going to be a battle. Nothing on the Z is easy.

My question is should I get the Alternator tested at my local auto parts store. Is there any reason to suspect that my lack of charging was due to something other than the Alt.

I am planning on buying the new Alternator that was linked earlier in this thread.

·
Registered
6,812 Posts
Don't waste time testing it, just get a new one. Went thru the effort to get out so just upgrade.

PS. Dont forget to duct tape the nut for the re-install. Makes it much easier when you don't have to deal with the nut falling while wrestling the alty into place.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Just bought the new alty from your link. $162.30.

I took the old one to O'Reilyes and had it tested. TOTAL FAIL. At start up it shook the testing unit (bad bearing). Only made 8 volts and no "lamp on".

That is good. If it was functioning perfect I would have been left scratching my head.

Now I have a Z in my garage bay for a bit longer. Remember how I said the Rear main seal that I replaced XX # of years ago was still holding. Well The tranny back is all covered with oil. Oh well, I needed the tranny rebuilt anyways.

As I said in my first post: "The joys of owning a 25 year old sports car."

I think I am going to re'clock my drive shaft while I wait for the new Alt.

On a side note. I just finished my buddy bike. Want to come over and ride.

·
Registered
6,812 Posts
There ya go!

I'm trying to figure out whether I want to keep the Z or get something else? Want a t-top or convertible If I change out?

Basically put more $$$ into the Z (upgrade wheels and shoes) or spend it someplace else????

Not in any rush either!

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
At this point in my life the Z jsut doesn't bring me as much joy as it once did. I guess having 2 kids changes how you view things. However I have so much time and money in this car, and there is hardly any resale value that it would be stupid of me to get rid of it.

My dad currently has 5 cars at his house. He wants to get rid of some and looking at me. I really don't need anymore old cars, but how can one say no.

·
Registered
6,812 Posts
I'm just the opposite of you. My kids are now adults and the 2+2 back seat no longer makes sense. Would like for one of my kids to take the car but none really have the time or space for it. (LoL, sound familiar?)

·
Registered
6,812 Posts
Wow more than enough to charge the flux capacitor bank! Good going!!!!

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Got the new alt in last night. I bought the one from the ebay. What came was a alt from another brand. Not DB. Oh well looked nice and shiny. Install was not too bad. Would have liked to change out the belt, but the current one was in good shape and I did not feel like removing all that other crap in front. car fired right up and the battery terminals read 14.86 volts. Woo hoooo.

I'll try to button up the rest of the front end this week and start driving her for the remainder of summer and fall.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
So what do I do with the old Alternator? I bought new so there is no core charge that I would get a refund for. Coz and Z1 charges $75 -60 for the core. But if you just send them an old alt they give you $20 (if it passes their inspection). Not sure that would even cover shipping.

At this point I just want to make sure it doesn't end up in a landfill, and I do not care if I get any money out of it.

·
Registered
6,812 Posts
Take to local parts store...my autozone was happy to recycle it.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
After a weekend of turning wrenches, I finally put the last turn on my jack handle and lower the Z to the ground and took her for a midnight test lap around my neighborhood.

This morning, I head out to work and a bunch of warning lights are on the dash. Battery, Brake, Seatbelt, ABS, and rear tailight. I have read of people losing their alternator and having a bunch of weird unexplaineable grimlins show themselves. I opened the hood and check the voltage at the battery: 14.8 volts.

**** it, slammed the hood, threw a bag full of tool into the back seat and drove to work. I plan on disconnecting the batter, after I have a cup of coffee.

Any ideas what is going on.

Did I not connect one of the ground points? Why are there 2 additional ones anyways. The main plug is for +and -. Could the fact that I am using a TT alternator and pumping 90 instead of 80 amps be messing??

Thoughts?

·
Registered
6,812 Posts
Higher alty amps aren't the issue. Weak battery could cause this issue .... battery is used to smooth out alternator output. Acts like a capacitor in a power supply circuit.

How old is the battery? What battery voltage do you measure after car has been off for a few hours?

PS-the failed alty could have messed up the battery.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts