ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Count me in on this one. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area... just north of San Jose in the heart of Silcon Valley Last night I paid $1.89.9 for super because my 73Z pings on anything else. I paid the price because it was cheaper then paying up to $2.09.9... If you don't think it can happen to you think again.

This is a stand of unity which I'm honored to take part of. This action in no way will add to the number of oil wells in the states.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hello, I have heard a little about this situation but what is the whole detail info. about this situation.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: NO Gas Purchases on April 30th</b>

Yes Im also definetly in on this. I live in clackamas oregon and they are not only charginging $1.70 for super but its the most shi$%y gas there is. I run my timing at full advance and I can usually run regular without it pinging but now it pings with super. Pretty soon buying gas is going to cost as much as a car payment per month. THIS IS INSANE.
Adam

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
As an employee of a large energy company, I have a client who runs a facility that cleans contaminated natural gas and sells it as gasoline. They have manufactured about 4 million barrels this year with a net loss. He is concerned his operation will be closed down. I think I'm ok with paying an extra buck or two in order to help save 100 jobs. I will be buying gas on the 30th.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>GAS IS CHEAP!!!!!</b>

In 1983 my 280 turbo stickered around $18K. In 1996 a 300 turbo was $42K. that's about 240% inflation. But gas is not much more today than it was in 1983.
Taxes make up a huge portion of gas prices. I pay $1.29 for premium in Texas. The difference between here and Oregon is mostly taxes. Most taxes go to maintain the roads. The roads are in bad enough shape in Texas -- I'm not sure we can afford a tax cut on gas!
Gas is cheaper in the U.S. than basically any other part of the world except the Middle East. In Mexico -- one of the world's top producers -- gas is about double the U.S. average (because the government owns the wells and controls the prices). And everyone knows how expensive it is in Europe (again, taxes).
I'm surprised to see anyone complaining about gas prices. I feel lucky that they are what they are. But for those of you who are paying $2 a gallon -- don't waste time on the gas companies -- you're better off marching on your state legislature!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I work for an oil and gas consulting firm and I've seen our clients cut back on hundreds of jobs just in the last year (since oil prices fell from $18/bbl to $11/bbl). Now they're back up to $16/bbl and your gasoline prices are up to where they were before the oil glut began. I'm happy when the prices get up around $18/bbl - this means that we can afford to keep looking for oil and producing gasoline for our treasured Z-cars. And my friends may get to keep their jobs for a while longer. If this means I pay more for gasoline, well, that's the price of my hobby. Just a few factoids:
1. In Norway, the purchase tax on a new car is 100%!
2. In Holland, gas is $4.80/gallon for regular unleaded.
3. In New York City, parking is $25/day, if you have a contract.
4. On the Gulf Coast (where I live) we have abnormally high cancer and respiratory disease rates but we have cheap gasoline, bad roads, and lousy mass transit.

Everything we do has a price.

·
Registered
650 Posts
RE: GAS IS CHEAP!!!!!

Actually, this time i believe its not legislations fault, not in california at least. the prices for gas shot up right after the refinary blew up.

on the 510 list i subscribe too, everyone is also talking about how cheap gas is in the US also and raggin on the American Gas Out, however, when you concider the cost of living in the Bay Area, let alone California, the gas prices are crazy. $15 is half a tank on my Z right now (well, just a tad bit over half) but its almost $30 for a full tank. and as many of you may know, a full tank goes FAST on a mod'd Z.

So count me in one the April 30 gas out, ****, i take the bus to work everyday anyways, its either pay for daily parking or pay for gas...hmmm...which one would you choose. -ed

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
From another angle

How many people remember the Gulf War? How many people remember what happened to the gas prices the day after Kuwait was invaded? Now correct me if I'm wrong but how can the price of gas, already in the gas station tank, cost more to produce? It can't!! Then why were they charging more for it? Because they could. It was profit taking, pure and simple. Not taxes.

Anyone take a note as to what the gas prices do every year..around "family vacation time", they go up don't they. Why? Because people take their families on vacation and buy lots of gas, might as well take a few profits while we're at it don't ya think. It's not the state legislature that raises taxes every spring, it's the oil companies "taking excess profit".

**** you never can tell when an oil company will get sued over a small thing like running a tanker aground, which will also make gas prices go up. Anybody remember why Exxon gas seemed to always be a penny or two more than the others, after Valdez crashed? Well it was Joe Public paying for a drunk captains mistake. Not Exxon, they didn't pay.

So sympathy for oil companies, NO, 'fraid not. As long as they act like a thief in the night, they will be hated as though they are one. Alternative fuels? Methanol? Not as long as there are oil companies to keep it repressed.

Ken

·
Registered
650 Posts
fuel alternatives/???

I always hear about this, but no one has ever explained how it was done. can some share the basics please! what does the conversion consist of? is it street legal?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
RE: fuel alternatives/???

It's called the law of supply and demand. Those of you in CA complain about the gas prices, but in other parts of the country (and here in Ohio) we haven't seen any abnormal increases. One state of one country not buying gas for a day isn't going to make much of a dent in a compnaies profits or their attitudes (which suck). And as for the jobs issue, if you believe we should pay more for gas to keep jobs then we should also buy crappy American cars to keep those jobs too. Thanks, but I'll buy my gas when I want, and drive my Japanese Z when I want.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts

>>I pay $1.29 for premium in Texas. The difference between here and Oregon is mostly taxes.

Also I think All of Oregons stations are Full service by law. So they are paying for someone else to pump the gas as well.

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/~z-car>Click</a>

·
Registered
107,695 Posts

Gas prices aren't bad here in South Carolina usually regular is $.80 premium around $1.00 or less. Cheaper across the river in Georgia. Been down to $.70 lately. We gripe when it gets near $.90. I run plus so I don't know the price till I get to the pump because Smile doesn't display the plus price. Sam 81 280zxt

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.