ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first car I have ever owned/ Worked on that was not Computer controled (EFI) and it is my first and only Z car (I'm a Z Virgin) The car is a '74 260Z 4 speed

I bought it on the basis that it needed a fuel pump (it would run on starting fluid). I instaled a Napa/ Carter 12v pump in place of the stock 12v pump, I even used the stock harness and bracket. and then bypassed the engine mounted mech. pump. the new pump does not come on at all. I ran a hot wire from the batt. and it then started pumping fine. What did I do wrong?

There is also no spark at the plugs. I see that is has like new wires, Cap & rotor I just instaled new plugs and I found ingntion part boxes in the car with old parts in them. so this my be a recuring problem. Where should I start?

Thanks for any help
Tom

· Registered
600 Posts
Start with basic trouble shooting. Check fuses. Does the coil have power? Is there fuel to the carbs? One basic rule, if you have fuel, ignition and compression....it will run. As you are a "Zirgin" you will find this to be a very good learning experience, so enjoy it and don't get frustrated!
Good luck!
Retro

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fuses are all OK, There is fuel to the carbs when I "Hot wire" the Pump I just changed the plugs today because they where soaked in gas. and the coil does have power when the key is on.

· Registered
600 Posts
Sounds like a flooded engine. How many PSI is this new fuel pump running? If you are running carbs you should have about 3 to 5 PSI, definately no more than 10. If that pump is for fuel injection it will be pumping 30 PSI+ and causing it to flood. BTW...If you have severly flooded the engine, chances are you have squeezed fuel past the rings and into the oil sump. The gasoline in the oil will do two bad things to you. It will degrade your oil so that it has almost no lubrication properties, causing you to burn out your bearings in a VERY short amount of time. and two it can ignite and litteraly blow the oil pan off the engine (not good!). Smell your dip stick, if it smells like fuel change the oil before you run it (solve the flooding problem first!).

· Registered
600 Posts
If the plugs are wet from flooding, the liquid will bridge the spark plug gap, grounding it, and prevent spark/ignition. Dry them off, Berryman's B-12 works great, and plug one spark plug into the end of it's spark plug wire, ground the spark plug body (threaded part) to the block (away from any fuel) while someone cranks the engine. If you see spark, your ignition is O.K.. After that I'd check the points gap. But I still think you have a flooding problem.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Earlier today, after trying to start the car for hours I pulled a plug, It was wet, Smeled like gas. I put the plug back it and cleaned the side of the head, and pulled all the plugs. I then cranked the engine over 30 sec. (to dry things out) I then put in BRAND NEW plugs in the car. It still did not start. I then pulled a plug and grounded it there was no spark at all. and I have power to the coil.

What else should I check

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.