Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
> Anyone out there had any experience with a
> NITROUS KIT on a 280Z with 5 speed?

The easiest way to use nitrous in your car is to retrofit a kit for a mustang for your car. The kit is simple. It taps off the fuel press. reg. and is a dry fogger setup which you can put after the air-flow meter and before the throttle body. The jet which they give you in the kit is too big. WAY TOO BIG!! Do not use it if you have the kit. You can call NOS directly or NX and they will have a formula or recommendation. For my purposes, I used the same jet used to produce 75 horsepower on a Honda and it works GOOD. One word of advice is , know your electrical and mechanical limits. If you don't know what you are doing, don't do it. The NOS kits are usually around $550. You can usually get someone to install for $800 out the door in S. Cali. I don't know where you are, but the prices should be close. NOS has a price/hour/job list in the back of their price list which most people go by. You may need to replace some plastics in order to make this setup work. I did and it looks better and is more solid. OH..another thing, no squeez before 2500 rpm. nor in 1st gear.It'll save you a headache and a tow truck bill.TRUST ME.$$$

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
> The easiest way to use nitrous in your car
> is to retrofit a kit for a
> mustang for your car. The kit is simple. It
> taps off the fuel press. reg. and is a
> dry fogger setup which you can
> put after the air-flow meter and before the
> throttle body. The jet which they give you
> in the kit is too big. WAY TOO BIG!! Do not
> use it if you have the kit. You can call NOS
> directly or NX and they will have a formula
> or recommendation. For my purposes, I used
> the same jet used to produce 75 horsepower
> on a Honda and it works GOOD. One word of
> advice is , know your electrical and
> mechanical limits. If you don't know what
> you are doing, don't do it. The NOS kits are
> usually around $550. You can usually get
> someone to install for $800 out the door in
> S. Cali. I don't know where you are, but the
> prices should be close. NOS has a
> price/hour/job list in the back of their
> price list which most people go by. You may
> need to replace some plastics in order to
> make this setup work. I did and it looks
> better and is more solid. OH..another thing,
> no squeez before 2500 rpm. nor in 1st
> gear.It'll save you a headache and a tow
> truck bill.TRUST ME.$$$

ABOUT THE NITROUS, WHAT IS A SAFE HP BOOST USING NITROUS. I HAVE BEEN THINKING THAT 100 TO 125 HP WOULD BE A REASONABLE EXPECTATION. ARE THERE ANY OTHER IDEAS OUT THERE?
HAD ONE SUGGESTION THAT GOING TO A TURBO ON MY L28 FOR MORE HP WOULD BE A BETTER / SMARTER MOVE. ANY THOUGHTS ABOUT THAT?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
> ABOUT THE NITROUS, WHAT IS A SAFE HP BOOST
> USING NITROUS. I HAVE BEEN THINKING THAT 100
> TO 125 HP WOULD BE A REASONABLE EXPECTATION.
> ARE THERE ANY OTHER IDEAS OUT THERE?
> HAD ONE SUGGESTION THAT GOING TO A TURBO ON
> MY L28 FOR MORE HP WOULD BE A BETTER /
> SMARTER MOVE. ANY THOUGHTS ABOUT THAT?

100 to 125 is not a bad idea,but this is the thing, nitrous oxide puts a huge amount of stress on components. The more power you want, the sooner the engine wears. My setup gave me a dynoed 60 hp. I am very happy. I can burn in 3rd gear. It's fun!! But, I've broken motor mounts, differential mounts, intermediate mounts, 1/2 axles, and even cracked the crossmembers. It's not a happy thing, but if you want to go fast, you pay somewhere. Nitrous is good because I can hide a 2 lb tank under the deck to cheat, or put my 20 lbs. tank on top to show and make smiles. This power is strong, cheap, a somewhat reliable (temperature dependant, altitude dependant). If you take the tank out, it's like nothing was ever installed except for a couple switches.

But turbo is a different story. Turbo is power all the time while boosting. When the bottle pressure drops below 700psi, you don't feel as much power. The power runs out on NOS, turbo can go all day and night if tuned right. It depends on your budget and expectations. Choose wisely and ask lots of Qs.Happy speeding.(I do not promote any sort of illegal activities) :T

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
> 100 to 125 is not a bad idea,but this is the
> thing, nitrous oxide puts a huge amount of
> stress on components. The more power you
> want, the sooner the engine wears. My setup
> gave me a dynoed 60 hp. I am very happy. I
> can burn in 3rd gear. It's fun!! But, I've
> broken motor mounts, differential mounts,
> intermediate mounts, 1/2 axles, and even
> cracked the crossmembers. It's not a happy
> thing, but if you want to go fast, you pay
> somewhere. Nitrous is good because I can
> hide a 2 lb tank under the deck to cheat, or
> put my 20 lbs. tank on top to show and make
> smiles. This power is strong, cheap, a
> somewhat reliable (temperature dependant,
> altitude dependant). If you take the tank
> out, it's like nothing was ever installed
> except for a couple switches.

> But turbo is a different story. Turbo is
> power all the time while boosting. When the
> bottle pressure drops below 700psi, you
> don't feel as much power. The power runs out
> on NOS, turbo can go all day and night if
> tuned right. It depends on your budget and
> expectations. Choose wisely and ask lots of
> Qs.Happy speeding.(I do not promote any sort
> of illegal activities) :T

Thanks for the info. Good to know. Can you tell me which kit you installed? Was it designed for you by a speed shop or by NOS or others? Did you install yourself. Any other special considerations to factor into question. Right now I'm working on N47 head and have been thinking about installing a performance grind cam .Now I'm not sure I need to do that if I change to NITROUS. I'm beginning to think I really don't need both the cam and Nitrous. Already have Crane ignition, headers, suspension upgraades, 5 speed, Center Force 2 clutch and a few other upgrade mods.

Money is an object. Don't have unlimited funds to work with and need to plan ahead to get things done. If you don't mind, how much money did you have in your system. Appreciate your opinions. Thanks
Larry
ICQ#22675037
[email protected]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.