ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know, the single most prestigious historic race event on the east cost is the Walter Mitty. Every year the Mitty brings thousands of fans in to see hundreds of historic race cars relive their racing heritage on the track at Road Atlanta. For the last two years the theme was "cars from Europe". This year's theme is Japanese race cars. The Mitty is expected to bring in historic Japanese race cars and race fans from all over the country. Each Japanese manufacturer was given an opportunity to help sponsor the event at a cost of $2500. They would be supplied a courtesy tent that was to be used as a gathering place for race fans of that specific make of car. Nissan originally said that they would be a major sponsor of the event and bring in some of the historic Nissan cars from around the world, along with some of the original race teams and drivers. Now Nissan has decided that they're no longer interested in the event and has pulled all official sponsorship away. The event is now being sponsored by Mazda. Hows that for Nissan's portrayal of the Z's long standing history in racing. Looks to me like Nissan doesn't care about the Z's future plans in racing events.

The Georgia Z car club is currently looking for support from the regional dealers organization in order the provide the $2500 for the sponsors tent and car coral. We will be doing everything we can to drum up support for the 3 day event. Our goal is to have 1000 Nissan cars on the hill as a statement to Nissan that we, the loyal Nissan car owners, do care about the racing legacy that the Z, 510, roadster and 240sx have provided. If we do get the funds to sponsor this event, then it will be a Datsun tent (not Nissan) in order to reenforce the Datsun legacy.

Please come to this event if you can. I'll be providing more information as it comes along, but set aside the last weekend of April and let's see if we can make a good showing of Z32's.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
ill be there since i stay like 20 mins away, and most of my clients live in chateu' elan i can leave from work and be there in a jiffy

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I meet one of the Nissan of North America race reps a few years ago at the Monterey Historics. All I can say is that they don't believe in the old saying, "race on Sunday, sell on Monday," philosophy. It's very sad. That is probably one of the reasons you dont see a Nissan factory backed Z racing here in North America. The only ones you see are the struggling privateers. I don't think Nissan here in the states gets it. If you have a sports car you need to race it. You race it to do engineering development for future production and also to sell your cars. And they need to sponsor events like the one you stated. I would love to see Nissan with a booth at the Monterey Historics. Toyota, Mazda, and Honda have them, so why not Nissan?

Post Edited (Jan 8, 10:53am)

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
that truely sucks though for Nissan theyve made a killing off all there cars so i hate it when big companys dont give back a little of what theyve taken, and **** itll be cheap advertisement having a tent there.

how about 1000 nissan fans each donating $5 thats twice as much needed to pay for a sponsor tent on behalf of nissan

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
I wouldn't want Nissan's name on it anyway. Maybe just a big "Z" on the tent, lol. If NISSAN doesn't want to participate, then they shouldn't get any recognition. But from a logistics standpoint, maybe they don't think they make enough money off of that particular event, i dunno. Regardless, it'd be nice to see some backbone from them to award the members who stay faithful to their brand/heritage.

Post Edited (Jan 8, 1:59pm)

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Like I said, our goal is 1000 cars on the hill with "Datsun" as the signage.

I found out that Nissan decided to support a truck show instead. No support for the legendary sports car but everything for the junk hauler.:(

I think Dr. 300Z may be on the right track... Nissan may be thinking of dropping the 350Z so they might not want to put any money into it's support for the future.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Because they want people to save the money for their GTR in 2008, I guess.

By the way, donating $5.00 to have a tent at the event is not a problem for me.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Well the 350Z is a couple years from its planned retirement. I don't think they'll drop it before 2008, but midway through '08 the replacement for the 350Z is slated for delivery. At least thats what they were talking about in September before I quit working at the Nissan dealership I used to be at.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.