ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just got off the phone and Nismo has their 8 quart oil pan in stock now. I was not going to get this part, but after installing the Bob Sharp oil pump springs I ran into a situation of running the sump dry onder high RPM and that is really not good. The springs took car of the oil pressure challenge I was having under high RPM levels and got the pressure to a better pressure level but it created a problem with the sump running dry because of the increase in pressure. This part is very expensive I just got a quote of 680.00 my cost on the part.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hey Jeff,

Yea, I heard the pan is a pretty expensive piece of hardware. I also heard that the additional capacity will do the trick. I can't blame ya for being a bit up tight on the price.

Just pay it....

D-

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, I ordered it from Nissan, They gave me a 15% dicount on it. On another note, I also got the brass crank gear for the pump and that was 85.00 and 12.15 for the gasket plus the pan cost 680.00 and now we have quite a expensive setup. I had looked at that pan for about 6 mos and shyed away from it, but when I got this dry sump problem, well, you know, suckers got me again. I just hope it fits in my zx car.
I did do a little research on the aluminum pan, and it will not keep the oil from flying in the pan like the other pan, so in my opinion it is not worth the 375.00 for it. It does increase the oil capacity to 7 quarts, so I guess it does have its applications, but not for radical acceleration. I guess I will just cut my leg off now and they can have it along with the arm they already got.
So I still need wheels, tires, brakes, and a good tranny, and then it will be done, I hope, oh and a strut tower bar, and I need to get the poly bushings and adjusters for the rear control arms completed. Maybe some gold plating (now I'm deranged) and I will do my best to hide this stuff from my wife LOL. It's getting cold now, so maybe that will keep her out of the garage for a while. I think I will be picking grease from under my fingernails forever.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Hey Jeff!

Nismo oil pan is $$$ but quite a fine piece of craftsmanship. Design is elegant. Weld quality is exceptional. Trap door baffles and anti-windage plate all very well fit up.

Beware possible interference w/ headers. Nismo said their headers and the comp oil pan were checked for compatibility but other headers not assured to fit. No idea how it might work out with the turbo setup. I do recall your exquisite st st headers and would hate for you to end up with a problem with those.

I had a burst of self-indulgeance a couple of years ago and got me the Nismo oil pan and n/a headers for perf engine (currently nic). Sore subject w/ wife. Pretty awesome setup, but major PITA to get the thing in place. The fit of the oil pan is such it's probably best to take off at least one engine mount support from the front cross-member prior to lifting in. Still not sure best method for getting headers on. Not enough clearance in engine bay to get 'em over head studs w/o major hassles w/ steering column and jacking engine over on side. Thinking that the next time it goes in, it's gonna get bolted to the head first and then head and header set down onto block. Maybe lifting in entire assembled engine/trans/header might work.
Later! ------ Al

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.