ZCar Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Jumping into my first ever project car with my son. a 1980-81 280zx NA 2 seater. He is 8 and it's going to be his someday and I am expecting some help but I know a lot of this is going to be on me.

It is not going to be a quick path moving forward, but mechanically the car appears sound. It was running when it was parked in a barn in 2004, but there is body damage that I need to repair, all the glass is there and undamaged, for whatever reason it came with an extra set of the wrong T-tops (2+2), the key is broken off in the hatch lock, I need to replace the passenger rear tail light at some point, it is damaged but workable.

There is one major area of concern that was hidden while looking at the vehicle. the front passenger wheel well looks like it will need to be replaced and has rusted through. the old battery that was in the car was not removed and appears to have leaked causing a ton of corrosion on the battery holder and the wheel well. For the life of me, I can't seem to find replacements for the 280zx.

Looking forward to joining this community reading the wealth of information stored on this forum.

- John

·
Registered
192 Posts
Only replacement panels that I know of that are available new are floor pans and the frame rails. All other metal work will either need to be sourced via classifieds (datsun facebook groups, car shows) or fabricated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey all,

Jumping into my first ever project car with my son. a 1980-81 280zx NA 2 seater. He is 8 and it's going to be his someday and I am expecting some help but I know a lot of this is going to be on me.

It is not going to be a quick path moving forward, but mechanically the car appears sound. It was running when it was parked in a barn in 2004, but there is body damage that I need to repair, all the glass is there and undamaged, for whatever reason it came with an extra set of the wrong T-tops (2+2), the key is broken off in the hatch lock, I need to replace the passenger rear tail light at some point, it is damaged but workable.

There is one major area of concern that was hidden while looking at the vehicle. the front passenger wheel well looks like it will need to be replaced and has rusted through. the old battery that was in the car was not removed and appears to have leaked causing a ton of corrosion on the battery holder and the wheel well. For the life of me, I can't seem to find replacements for the 280zx.

Looking forward to joining this community reading the wealth of information stored on this forum.

- John
Welcome John, I'm kind of a lurker on the forum. I have an 81 280zx Turbo model that had sat for about 10-15 years. Had to go through the fuel system front to back. Only rust spot I have is under the spare tire. Good luck with the project, you better hurry, you only have 8 years. :)

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,874 Posts
Keep looking for donor cars and parts. They're out there but may take time to find.

I have a 1983 ZX Turbo - bought with 49K miles in 1990, now around 130K miles. I'm fortunate in having no rust problems at all. They just keep running, although you have to keep up with stuff.

Good luck - you can get it back to nice condition.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.