ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 77 280z. What are the most important things to check out first? I am pretty sure it need struts, and the steering has a lot of play in it. Any recommendations as to where I should start?

·
Registered
680 Posts
the best thing I can tell u is Buy a buyers guide and it should have a cheak list of the parts u should look in to Like compresson and lights battery and all that.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Check out www.zhome.com they have some info on what to look for when buying a car so Im sure they have info on how to do a Z car tune up

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
> Check out www.zhome.com they have some info
> on what to look for when buying a car so Im
> sure they have info on how to do a Z car
> tune up
I just acquired a 78 280Z. Some of the things that I found needed to be looked at first were:
1. The distributors on these cars have a habit of breaking the vacuum breaker plate. This plate can be purchased from a nissan distributor for about 40 bucks and is simple to replace if you are handy. Along with that, make sure the vacuum advance valve attached to the distributor is actuating properly. Just pull off the other end of the vacuum line and suck on it. If the distributor advances then it should be fine.
2. Check the timing.
3. Check the idle RPM. You can get a tach and a timing light for around a hundred bucks at your local auto parts store.
4. Check all of the bushings on the steering assembly.
5. Obviously you should also do a complete tune up and change out all of the fluids.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
> I just bought a 77 280z. What are the most
> important things to check out first? I am
> pretty sure it need struts, and the steering
> has a lot of play in it. Any recommendations
> as to where I should start?

Save your cars life! RUST. Rip the floor-mats out and all the sound-proofing and take a gander. Look in the transmission tunnel under the car, and around the wheel wells. If you can, have a body shop professionally inspect for rust. They're good at it.

Whoever had my '72 Z before me sure didn't do this. I have to spend around $1000 to weld up rusted areas now because of it!

Good luck,
-rr

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.