ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy! I'm the proud new owner of a '72 240z with a 2.8l conversion and turbo. I think the turbo is an add-on, it's a Rotomaster 04BRM9, which I hear is now the Garrett T04B. My problem is I don't know what is from what on my new ride. It's got an L28 block, N47 head, intake marked E88, the turbo, and a Holley double-pumper. 1) Was the L28 turbo ever offered N/A as opposed to fuel injected? 2) Is the block/head/intake combo a stock set from a 280z/x turbo? 3) What turbo's did Nissan use for the 2.8L 280z's? I wound up with the car because the turbo is shot. Looks like I can rebuild it or buy rebuilt for <$450. Don't know where this intake came from either. What did the stock turbo 280z intakes look like? Also, no idea how old this mod. on the car is. No intercooler, or boost control that I can see. Given the engine is probably a little tired, should I have these items on with the next turbo? Any help would be great!

-Kurt

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Sorry I can't answer your questions, but I just wanted to state that it sounds like you have a sweet little machine there. Certainly somebody put some love and car into that baby. Keep it up and enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Hi Kurt-------------That's a pretty unusual conversion you have. In answer to your questions--yes, the turbo is an add-on. The block and head can be found on 280Z's, the intake is from an early Z. None of these components besides the block can be found on a 280ZXT. Nissan used the Garrett T-3 in 280ZX models. The 280ZXT and all Nissan turbo cars are fuel injected from the factory. The stock intake is vastly different from the E-88. Among the differences are ports for the injectors and a lot of vacuum fittings.

With the head/block combo you have, I'd be interested in the compression ratio. From here, it looks like combining this configuration with no boost control and intercooler might lead to problems. That double pumper should provide some fuel, tho.

Roadman
Gulfport, MS

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.