ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's start another thought string on the new Z. Follow the logic here.
Nissan currently builds the Maxima which has a 200 HP V-6 and it can be had for $20,000. They also built the 240SX as a rear drive platform.
Currently in the inventory Nissan has a small rear-drive platform that could support a two-seater hatchback. A 4 cylinder engine that develops 140 HP and a V-6 that develops 200.
This sets them up to rebody the 240SX into a Z and offer a base engine at 140HP which is close to the original 150 HP of the 240. With the new computerized design body technology they should be able to bring the car in around 2,500 lbs and have it much stronger and stiffer than the old 240. Leave off all the power crap except brakes, steering, and radio antenna and the car can easily be held around $25,000 at low sales volumes. Offer the V-6 for an extra $3,500 with a standard 5-spd or a 4-spd auto for another $1,000 and they're on theiir way.
The 4 cylinder that Nissan has is a strong little motor and, of course, The V-6 can always be aftermarket cloned into the 320 HP twin-turbo. Do that in a 2,500 - 2,800 lb car instead of a 3,500 lb car and it turns into quite a bottle rocket.
Phantom

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Phantom,

Thought string -- that's more like a thought hawser. My take on the whole thing is that Nissan should take a good look at the response to the few thousand 240Zs they remanufactured. I personally think they (and Chevrolet, with the '57 Bel Air, and a few others) should either tool up limited runs of ORIGINAL 240-280s with updated smog specs, or they should assign some part of some factory somewhere to rebuild limited numbers of them for, say, $10 or $15K if they could. These could be offered as upgrades (to meet current emmissions) or original. In this plan, you'd give them your car and in six months or a year, it would be returned to you, completely restored. Or if they built up a stock, you could turn in your '75 280 for a $500 'core' charge/credit and get an as-new version of the same car.

In my opinion, this would give the Z the same appeal it originally had: for half the price of a Miata or whatever, you could have a piece of the legend, so to speak. The advertising would be built-in. The return of the poor man's Porsche, etc. I go to wrecking yards and it kills me to see whole rows of first-generation Zs with good bodies just waiting for the crusher. This plan would also get Nissan in good with the various green groups, and show other automakers the way to efficient recycling of still-good cars.

In summary, I don't think we need a new Z car. I don't feel like the 300s were ever Zs to begin with, and that new concept Z is butt ugly to my eye. (Look what happened to the mustang for a foreshadowing of the horror to come.) I say bring back the original at an affordable price and they'll sell 'em faster than IHOP sells pancakes.

Will it ever happen? Probably not. But it's cool to think about. I predict/hope that some manufacturer will give it a shot in our lifetimes.

·
Registered
358 Posts
> Phantom,

> Thought string -- that's more like a thought
> hawser. My take on the whole thing is that
> Nissan should take a good look at the
> response to the few thousand 240Zs they
> remanufactured. I personally think they (and
> Chevrolet, with the '57 Bel Air, and a few
> others) should either tool up limited runs
> of ORIGINAL 240-280s with updated smog
> specs, or they should assign some part of
> some factory somewhere to rebuild limited
> numbers of them for, say, $10 or $15K if
> they could. These could be offered as
> upgrades (to meet current emmissions) or
> original. In this plan, you'd give them your
> car and in six months or a year, it would be
> returned to you, completely restored. Or if
> they built up a stock, you could turn in
> your '75 280 for a $500 'core' charge/credit
> and get an as-new version of the same car.

> In my opinion, this would give the Z the
> same appeal it originally had: for half the
> price of a Miata or whatever, you could have
> a piece of the legend, so to speak. The
> advertising would be built-in. The return of
> the poor man's Porsche, etc. I go to
> wrecking yards and it kills me to see whole
> rows of first-generation Zs with good bodies
> just waiting for the crusher. This plan
> would also get Nissan in good with the
> various green groups, and show other
> automakers the way to efficient recycling of
> still-good cars.

> In summary, I don't think we need a
> new Z car. I don't feel like the
> 300s were ever Zs to begin with, and that
> new concept Z is butt ugly to my eye. (Look
> what happened to the mustang for a
> foreshadowing of the horror to come.) I say
> bring back the original at an affordable
> price and they'll sell 'em faster than IHOP
> sells pancakes.

> Will it ever happen? Probably not. But it's
> cool to think about. I predict/hope that
> some manufacturer will give it a shot in our
> lifetimes.

Not to flame, but where have you been? Ever heard of the Z-stores failure? They were very cool, just like you would have bought new in the early '70's, but the whole thing failed. They couldn't sell them. Nobody but the true dedicated Z people new enough to care, and their aren't a million of us after all you know. Sure, to us Z fans, it's great, but how many people are going to plunk down $25 to $30 grand for a 1970 model compared to $20 to $25 grand for a new model? I own an early '71, and it's great, but I need something more practical for my commute. I need a new car, now I need to look at the Honda S2000 a little closer, a four banger Z is a disgrace (IMO). Could be a great car, but I don't want a 2.4 litre 4 banger 200hp Z if I can have a 2.0 litre 240hp Honda. Also, look at it from Nissan's view. They have thier backs to the wall, needing something to get them out of debt, and quick. Honda Civics, Acura Integras, Miata's, and many more are selling like crazy, and all have a four. If they can do the same and maybe start making money again, they don't give a **** if the relativly small number of Z fans don't like it, they build more.
People. I've been all over all the Z forums I know of, and you need a reality check. Nissan is not going to build a 2500lb, 6 cylinder, 350hp turbo this or supercharged that for cheap. Nor are they going ot build another Z32 supercar in low volume for high cost. Or a new car based on the 1970 240. Also, they will not spend much $ on developing this car.
I have heard it would cost to much for them to even build a new straight 6 Z off the RWD skyline, which is a real dissapointment. It seams they will go with a 240sx chassis and engine, with a new Z like body and badging. Big mistake in our eyes, but if the car sells, Nissan doesn't care. It's the unfortunate sad truth, because Nissan could build a car that would have the same effect that our beloved 240Z did in 1970.
Anthony

·
Registered
64 Posts
For the most part, I'd have to agree with Anthony. The mass public wants new stuff, not classic stuff thats been restored or refabricated. But what's the big dissapointment anyways? If you really want a new 240-280Z, just look around for a nice used one (and with as many as they sold, they really aren't that hard to find) and use the extra 15-20 grand to do a ground up restoration. And, unless you consider it a sin to deviate from stock, add the sort of stuff you think a new Z should have, like maybe a CD player, even more power, wider wheels, or whatever you really want. Sure, it probably won't have that new car smell, but your insurance will be lower, you won't have to deal with the car salesman, and your car will already be a classic.

Of course, it's all a matter of opinion, and I guess that makes me opinionated.

·
Registered
247 Posts
> Well here is my two cents. I think Nissan needs that sporty little two seater that every other car maker is coming out with now days. However, I think they should have stuck much closer to the original design of the 240 like VW did with the Bug and offer it in a drop top too. Make it out to be the car you wanted in high school and the car you want now. In my opinion the new Z car is butt ugly, I went to the LA auto show expecting to see it but it wasnt there or I just missed it. As for the power train a 200hp 4cyl 5sp or 4sp auto would probably be cool after all I really dont think they will recapture the magic that they stumbled upon so many years ago. Anyway all I know is I love what Datsun did and not what Nissan has done.
CMG76Z

·
Registered
680 Posts
Ok here my one cent to u all. Ok the new z looks nice but look to much like a jetson cars of the cartoon. make it look classic inline 6 and have a reg z with out all the fancy stuff like cdplayer turbo and all that. Make the z as it was Power hungry and loveing it. I m keeping my z old or new it a cool car and shot my mom race me in her ford f 150 and I smoked her. Now she would like a z. she dont like the low but she like the power of them. who say a mom can t teach some one to race hehe Mine did!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
I don't see why everyone is so cynical towards the new Z car, and our demands for a 6-cylinder mega fast, mega cheap car are simply selfish. It would be stupid for Nissan to keep making the 240Z over and over and over. Kinda like a band who makes every album sound the same. And as far as the motor is concerned, I personally think the 4 cylinder would be a wise decision, even if it has 'only' 200hp. Four bangers are as powerful as sixes were in 1970, so a six simply isn't neccessary unless a rediculous amount of horsepower is desired. Nissan is up against the wall bigtime, and making a car they know won't sell would be like slashing their own throats. Nissan Motors gave us our beloved Z car, and I feel we owe it to them to support their decisions. Tradition doesn't mean **** when you're losing millions of dollars...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.