ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone comment on new vs. rebuilt brake master cylinders. I have a 77 whose BMC is shot. I do have a Nissan rebuild kit, but several posts in the archives have indicated rebuilding aluminum BMCs is a bad idea. Why is this? Also that rebuilt BMCs from auto parts stores like Autozone is also iffy. Autozone has rebuilt BMCs for $45.00 and offers a lifetime warranty, so they must think they will last. Has anyone had failures either on BMCs they've rebuilt with factory kits or on parts store rebuilt units?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Works for me....

I am using the one from Autozone. Haven't had any problems with it, brakes have nice control and lock down hard when I need them to. Don't rebuild, not worth the time/money when you can get one warrantied. Personally, I take things with a grain of a salt from this sight. Most of the ppl on this sight are true enthusiast, wanting only the best for their z's. I'm the same way, but a college kid has got to do the best he can for a car that is intended to be a daily driver/ occasional racer. Just my thoughts....Where in TX you located?
Ant

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
You can rebuild them succesfully with no problems.

The most important thing is the bore. It is quite common for the rubber seals to have fine dirt embedded in them and this over time will wear out the bore of the cylinder. The more the bore is worn the less chances you have of success. Also, use brake fluid or brake assembly fluid when putting it back together. Dont use grease or engine oil. Clean everything with hot soapy water and if possible blow it dry with compressed air. Dish soap works great.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Re: You can rebuild them succesfully with no probl

Get a Reman for a 79-81ZX it will give you 10-12% more stopping power because it has a 15/16" Piston not a 7/8" one...

Z U V8ter

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Re: Either/or - iffy

I've got one on my Z now that was a Cardone rebuilt from Advance. It leaks a little from around the old reservoirs, but this is fine because it stays cooler(!) in the summer. Even if you rebuild it yourself, the bores could be pitted and ususable. Some rebilts are OK and some are junk.
Its not a hard job either way, just be sure to "bench bleed" the M/C before install. and bleed the whole system well with at least DOT 4 fluid to finish the job.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.