ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed a new 79zx tranny along with an r200 3.90 in my 72. All new u joints as well. Took it for a test drive tonight, its amazing how tight it is. However, the tranny is making lots of whining noises. It has redline mtl 70w-80 in it, and royal purple gear oil in the diff. Im assuming the noise will decrease as the gears break in. Is this true? Or is there something wrong? Thanks for the responses guys.

· Registered
888 Posts
the tranny should'nt be making any real noise.Is the tranny new or just new to you?
does the noise change when you change gears or does it stay the same? Your noise could be the diff. Heres a little test to try out,get going about 50 mph.,listen to the noise and then put it in neutral and coast a bit,as the car idles down does the noise stay the same? If your not sure put it back in gear,4th,give it a little gas and let off,keeping it in gear,listen,does it change?if so it may be the diff,possible that the gear mesh is a little tight,you should have about 3 to 6 thousands of back lash before it will make noise but even thats a little tight.Is the diff new also?

· Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On closer observance, i realized it was the diff not the tranny that was making noise. The tranny is rebuilt, and the diff i got out of a wrecking yard, was so clean it looked new. Im sure it has low miles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.