ZCar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welp, about me, this my first post so don’t beat me up too bad. I guess this is where I’m supposed to start out with something witty but I’m more of a serious, wouldn’t be in here bothering folks guy if I didn’t need something.

Just kinda throwing out some feelers to see if I rate a response from the all knowing Z public. In 1981 I bought a 1979 280ZX 2+2, pre-no lead, pre-Nissan Datsun for my fiancée. Loved the car, fast, handled great and looked cool.

Married my wife of 36 years in 1983 and traded the 79 for an 81 280ZX 2+2 in 1984. Still have it. Work, kids, mortgage, parents and life in general, parked it in around 2005. It’s been sitting waiting for me to bring it back to life.

Shamefully I regret my neglect to the little blue car. I am retired now after 18 years of school and 38 years with the power utility, I have a a good retirement, not rich but have income, time and a shop to do something with my 280.

I’m curious before I start the long restoration process, is the car worth investing time and money in? If the more experienced owners could give me an idea of the cars value and whether it’s worth fixing, parting out or let the salvage yard tow it away for $150 bucks.

It’s all original with sun damage to the interior and a rusty spot here and there. I’d like to get her going again for sentimental reasons and can do that. My son, the engineer with the 750hp Camaro suggested stripping it out for track days at Hallett. A friend wants me to put a V8 in it make it a drag car.

Could some of you enthusiasts post some ideas, maybe suggestions, give me some guidance where to start, what to do or different options to consider? If I am wasting my time and yours, tell me that too and I’ll call a tow truck. I appreciate any comments or suggestions you might have.

Thanks for letting me participate and look forward to talking more about cars than covid-19 or politics. Mike

·
Registered
907 Posts
I'm not up on 81 2+2 values, but I think that it's best done as a DIY project, not worth spending money for a pro to do the body or interior. The frame and body are big deals when it comes to rust. If all the body requires is some spot repair and the frame is OK, I think you have a manageable project - you can do the body prep and perhaps have any metal replaced. If you have to start paying for having floor pans, quarter panels and rocker panels replaced, you'll be in a lot more money.

Others may have differing opinions. I value my time and don't want another multi-year project like some I've had in the past.

This is always a matter of opinion -how much money and time to you want to invest? What are your skills?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not up on 81 2+2 values, but I think that it's best done as a DIY project, not worth spending money for a pro to do the body or interior. The frame and body are big deals when it comes to rust. If all the body requires is some spot repair and the frame is OK, I think you have a manageable project - you can do the body prep and perhaps have any metal replaced. If you have to start paying for having floor pans, quarter panels and rocker panels replaced, you'll be in a lot more money.

Others may have differing opinions. I value my time and don't want another multi-year project like some I've had in the past.

This is always a matter of opinion -how much money and time to you want to invest? What are your skills?
Interesting, thanks. I’d like to just put it on a truck and have Foose, Kindig or the Count restore it but the cost wouldn’t be tolerable. I’m pretty good mechanically and have more tools than I’ll ever use. Metal, welding is my speciality. Even painted a tractor or two but a beginner at best.

Paying as I work is possible. It’s pretty good shape, wished I’d put a shade over it now. I’d value it $1500~$2000ish. May be worth more if drivable. My big shot son ;^) has expressed an interest in it a time or two. I offered a father and son project but he lives an hour and half away. He travels a lot and focuses on his SC Camaro ZL1 and car club. Old Z would probably just end up parked at his house.

I think I’ll pull the tank out and clean it out, flush the fuel system out. Motor will start but probably need some mystery oil or something in the spark plug holes. I put a fuel pump in it years ago. Exhaust system is pretty much rusted off. I don’t have a lift so all work would be off stands and a creeper.

I think I’ll tinker with it some. Get it going. I can always sell it later if I get tired of it. Never should have let it get so rough. Like they say, the worst thing you can do is let them sit.

Thanks for the encouragement. Maybe there is still some life left in it. Maybe take the redhead for a ride in it again. I hope maybe some of the more serious owners will comment. I may have some good questions once I get into it.

My first son rode in a child’s seat in the back. I’d like to take his kids for a ride. Appreciate your time and comments. Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts