ZCar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm embarking on the journey of getting a new project car (also daily because I can only afford one car). I'm looking into an 83 240ZX. It's got 70,422 miles and the owners asking $4200. Red exterior black interior digital dash and five-speed. Minor paint chips around the door frame but otherwise good exterior. Interior looks good in the pictures. What are some things I should know before test driving or buying a 240zx?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Lift up rugs, look for damages on the floor... directly behind wheels, under the brake fluid containers [where the front fender meets the body) look for leaks and raised paint damaged by leaked brake fluid. Look at seals around door and trunk. Hopefully you can drive a stick shift(is it).
As long as brake, steering and gears sounds great, then you should be good. Remember it's an old car. Insurance for Historics are great though. Enjoy my friend, I've 2 sons and they love working on ours. Good Luck!

·
Registered
756 Posts
Since there were no 1983 240Z cars, I assume you mean a 280ZX. This probably also means you're not very familiar with the series, which is OK and a good reason to come here.

#1 enemy of these cars is rust. Check rocker panels under the doors, look at lower fenders, lift the rear hatch and look under it, and have a mechanic look at the frame and make sure it's not rusted through. Everything else can be fixed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts