ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought a definite fixer upper Z-car and I absolutely love it. I only paid 1650 for the 1987 n/a 300zx, but I'm 19 and have a lot of goals for this car. The idiot who owned it b4 me rigged up a crappy sound system and messed up a lot of the electrical stuff. I have just finished getting it road worthy, and I love it already. My first upgrade is going to be the springs, but my biggest project is I want to turbo charge the engine. I know the engines are practically identical except for the pistons. Do I have to change the pistons to get the proper compression in order to turbo it, or is there an alternative to this? I am thinking an aftermarket Garrett T3 would be a nice addition to the car. I am hoping to get about 350 bhp out of the engine and was wondering if the engine and drivetrain etc. can handle that much power. Anyone who actually knows what they are talking about please respond.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
IMO if you are going to try to convert/add your N/A to a turbo (although you REALLLLLYY should have bought a turbo but I know how you feel....) the route described in this FAQ is the best way to go:

http://tboz.no-ip.com:10000/300ZX/TurboSwap/TurboSwap.html

The writeup isn't super-detailed but if you are mechanically inclined it will get you there with a Haynes manual and/or FSM.

·
Registered
657 Posts
your gunna want to talk to 88Hybrid, he's got an 88 NA running a turbo....... dont know how many ponies, but he should be able to get you started.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
My car has a Jap Turbo block, and is run by a Stand-Alone ECU. The CAR itself use to be a N/A engine, but it has been removed. If you want to convert your car to a turbo, like mine, producing the same power and reliability, be prepared to spend in excess of....... Drum roll please........$12000, Thats only the engine, and related componants, no installation, or suspension parts. Sell the N/a, and find a turbo for around $2500 $3000 and turn up the boost. That is alot less work, and much more realistic. Z-ya

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
You can turbo an NA and leave the stock NA pistons and run around 5 psi. This will put you about 230ish HP and 260ish TQ. With a few bolt ons you could be around 300-320HP, but to get 350+HP you would probably want to lower your compression. Although somepeople have squeezed out around 400HP on stock NA pistons.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've had my '86 n/a 5 years now and still love it. I just finished off my suspension without spending a ton of money.

-tirerack.com - decent summer semi-performance tires
-ajusa.com - Tokico blues, springs/strut/shocks
Tighetened rear end bushings
While Under there had them:
replace rear end fluid
replace Differential/Trans fluid

Parts were very affordable but mechanic was a bit high. Labor cost me around $1,600.

But, the handeling is great, no sway. I wish I had a lateral g dial instead of the acceleration g indicator.

Welcome

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
would my best move be to then turbo charge the car with only a 5 psi boost until rebuilding the block with the dished pistons? Is this reliable b/c this is also my daily driver. If so what would be the cost etc.? or am I just better off finding a junked turbo car and converting?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.