ZCar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw couple of refences to the Revelco anti-theft device on the forum but nothing real specific I'm in the Raleigh NC area and there is no dealer in this region. I purchased one from Revelco directly but they aren't really much help in terms of installation. Has anyone out there ever installed one. Any help or advice, I would be grateful. I got this car about 2 months ago and since have been trying to bring it back to match one I bought new in 1982 when I was a young man

NC1.jpg
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Attachments

·
Administrator
1983 280ZX Turbo
2,341 Posts
Hopefully you don't mean this Ravelco unit, which requires cutting a large hole in the dash...

·
Administrator
1983 280ZX Turbo
2,341 Posts
Hopefully you don't mean this Ravelco unit, which requires cutting a large hole in the dash...

Want a simple solution? Install a hidden on/off switch for the fuel pump. No fuel, no stolen car unless they bring a flatbed - in which case you lose anyway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pilgrim

I do mean that device but I have a way to mount it without cutting a hole in the dash and since it appears tat ta one point some sort of alarm was installed (since removed) there is a hole through the firewall I can use.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
LaleH83,

Think back to the early 1900's and then look at the generation of now-a-days (the 2020's) and I think you'll find out that the greatest unintentional anti-theft device ever created, is already sitting neatly in your car- the manual transmission :D
well unless you got an auto and in that case you're screwed.... haha. Just kidding :cool:

Have you checked with the folks from Triangle Zcar club about this issue? They may be able to give some guidance perhaps. I'm in Fayetteville by the way. There is a pretty good little Z shop down here called 'Cruizin' Auto'. Maybe they could install it for you? Worth reaching out I reckon.

Also, you would be wise to get yourself a set of latch locks for your t-tops. I have a set on my 83. They rock! And they are worth having. Here's a set on ebay if you are interested: 79-83 DATSUN 280ZX T-TOP T TOP INTERIOR TRIM LOCKS NO Key | eBay

Bon

Reactions: pilgrim

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Definitely add locks on the T-tops. I had the vehicle VIN number etched into mine.
Yeah? That's a great idea! :unsure: Might have to do the same on mine.
I have another set that I got and one of them was missing the lock assembly... no problem. I took it to a local locksmith over here in UAE and he installed a new lock and key :) definitely worth my 20 bucks

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I don't have any pictures off hand at the moment, but I can tell you how they work.

The lock assembly fits right over where the latch is on the T-top handle assembly. The inner tab portion of the rear lock fits snuggly right behind the handle. With the key turned and in the locked position, the handle will not move, thus making the entire t-top lock/latch mechanism unable to engage. You won't get it off without breaking something.
To open, you simply put the key in the lock, turn it, lift up the "Z" cover and open the handle.
These are really about safe guarding your t-tops, not so much your car. T-tops in good shape however, have been known to get stolen from time to time.

Around 85 or 86, Nissan started installing built-in t-top lock assemblies on the Z31.

Bon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts