ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I just got a 82 280ZX, it's an Automatic and I got a great deal on it, free! The original owner couldn't fix it and told me I could have it if I got it off his property. Well I had the car running in 20 minutes, it was a bad fuel pump fuse, and a cracked hose that goes from the Valve cover to the MAF.

Once I got all that fixed and back to my house I put some new oil/filter in it, new plugs NGKs, and found the horrible oil leak the guy complained he couldn't have fixed. I looked through the receipts and the local Nissan dealer had R&R'd the valve cover 3 times for the guy and it was still leaking in the back!

I took the valve cover off, cleaned it really well, cleaned the cylinder head really well and RTV'd the head and allowed it to get tacky, put the cleaned gasket over it and put a layer of RTV over the gasket, let it get tacky and installed the Valve cover. Gave the RTV 3 hours to set and bamn, no more oil leak.

Changed out some minor fuses, bulbs, fixed some small things like the back windows pop out lever (I really don't know what to call this). Changed the ATF out, and took it on a 250 mile road trip back to where I go to College. The thing ran great and by my calculations thus far got over 27 mpg!

Well, here is the problem I am having:

The fuel injectors are leaking, in fact 4 of the 6 seem to be leaking where the injector has a rubber hose machined into it. This IMO is a horrible design! I've been dealing with later model FI cars for years, and they have all used the SVO style injector which basicly has no hoses and such that can wear out and crack, then leak fuel horribly. There are stains all over the manifold where the fuel's been leaking for years, I guess it's my time to fix it.

I found that AutoZONE stocks the Lucas 5208001which is a 188cc injector, for 29.99 a piece. That's a little high, because I need 4.

Does anyone know if there is a cheaper source for replacement fuel injectors for the 280ZX non-turbo I6?

Also, is this a common problem?

Another question, my blower motor isn't comming on for the heater or AC, is this often a fuse or the blower motor it self? I don't have the Nissan manuals but I do have the Hayens and it has helped me thus far.

Thanks guys!

Jeff Collop
1995 Z28
519 rear wheel HP
567 rear wheel TQ

1982 Nissan 280ZX
30 mpg
Cost 0.00

http://www.collop.cz28.com

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
WOW, that is a great deal!
If the fuel injector hose is leaking, all you need to do is to replace the fuel injector hose. You can remove the hose with a knife (be very carefull not to nick the plastic barbs one the injector!) Slip on the new FI hose, attach clamp (try to use a solid worm drive clamp, not the slotted ones).
I am not sure about what size FI hose you will need... I remember it was posted in the archives. Could be 5/32, not sure.
Since the car was free, pick up the factory service manual. You can order a cd-rom version from www.ideal-z.com for $70.00. Tons more info than Haynes/Chiltons/Clymer ever could print! The wiring diagrams and FI info in the FSM makes it worth the price alone.
Check the fuse for the blower motor. You could unhook the power going to the blower and apply 12 volts to it and see if it works.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright, so that hose is replaceable? It looks machined into the injector or clamped into it?

BTW, it's leaking at the very top of the injector where the hose ends, not the TOP of the rubber hose where it attatched to the fuel rail, but at the actual injector.

Thanks!

Jeff Collop
http://www.collop.cz28.com
1995 Z28
519 rear wheel HP
567 rear wheel TQ

1982 280ZX
30mpg
0.0 cost

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Yes the rubber hose on the injector is replaceable... this info is from my FSM, again I urge you to get one for your car. The are lightyears ahead of the Haynes/Chiltons/Clymer, ect...

Injector Rubber Hose:
Push end of rubber hose onto injector tail piece until hose socket contacts injector. Clamp is not necessary at this connection.
Push end of injector rubber hose onto fuel pipe until it is 33mm (1.30 in.) from end of pipe (ie; fuel rail).

The FSM states this for removing the hose from the injector:
On injector rubber hose, measure off a point approx 20mm (0.79 in) form socket end. Heat soldering irn for 15 min. Cut hose into braided reinforcement form mark to socket end. Do not feed soldering iron until it touches injector tail piece.
Then pull rubber hose out with hand.

Install rubber hose as follows:
Clean exterior of injector tail piece.
Wet inside of new rubber hose with fuel
push end of rubber hose with hose socket onto injector tail piece by hand as far as they will go.
clamp is not necessary at this connection.

Caution:
Do not socket, plastic barbed connector, ect with soldering iron.
Never place injector into a vise when disconnecting rubber hose.

Again, I am not sure about the size of the replacement hose. It would be a good idea to replace the large and small injector o rings. AutoZone has a replacement kit with 6 large and 6 small o rings for $6 or $7 dollars.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guys that is exactly the info I was looking for! I'll look for that book, in the mean time I'll replace the hose that's leaking, and injector o-rings. Thanks!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Re; fan question

On the blower fan there is a fuse on the fan itself. It also could be the resistor but my bet is the fuse on the fan. Drop the kick panel on the passenger side and the fuse is on the fan itself.

Wayne

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.