ZCar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening to all,
Tonight is one of many nights of ups and downs owning a Z Car. As a newbie to the forum I just wanted to feel in my element with others who truly understand the passion of cruising down the road in a Z Car with not a care in the world at one moment to only be stranded and humbled by the side of the road due to an unexpected or at least fingers crossed mechanical failure moment that wouldn't occur. As a younger man I owned and totaled two 1981 280 ZX's and presently have a 1978 Datsun 280 Z Black Pearl. I've spent the weekend driving around on a high with numerous glances and questions as well as a fair share of those who wanted to relive their own experiences of owning, selling and wrecking their Z Cars through direct conversations. My ultimate high ended with an all too familiar loss of power and slow coast to the side of the road at the peak of my feeling totally awesome about the world and myself. The story has a happy ending as it was just a loose wire to the alternator but as most of you know there is always another frustrating moment around the corner to balance out the highs. It's a welcome sight to see so many other enthusiasts and know that there really are others out there who truly understand the love/hate relationship of being a Z Car owner. Wishing you all a great start to your week.....Steve

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Well brother, the truth is we Z owners are all kind of sleeping in the same bed and waking up with the same problems, if you know what I mean. So welcome to the club!

Fact of the matter is, these things are ancient. We are driving and maintaining cars that are forty years old... fifty if you got an early 240!
But all the nostalgia, warm & fuzzies that we get from driving them, AND fixing them when they break.... it's all part of owning one. It's just the way of the game.

We've all broke down somewhere. I know I have at one point or another.... in every Z that I've ever owned... Whether it was my 87 Z31 overheating on a busy highway in Dubai during the middle of a hot summer day, or my 84 50th AE coming to a dead stop in mid-traffic in Abu Dhabi as the gear shifter stick came right out of the transmission housing, or the time my 280zx suddenly shut off while at a crowded traffic light intersection, and the many, many times my 76 280z broke down for one reason or another- including the time the fuel tank started leaking gas after I had drove and parked it for work... That was fun let me tell you! Lets not forget the several times that I broke down and had my girlfriend or wife with me in the car haha. But oddly enough, I was able to drive my 83 ZX from New Mexico, to Utah, and then all the way back to North Carolina without any issues.... weird.
And cool.

It's just inevitable really. But, these down times can be maintained and managed. Even when it sucks. Well, it always sucks, but point being its just part of having a Z. And it's also the fun. Enjoy the ride and embrace the suck.... if it happens. Shoot, anything can break, new or old. I bought a ford escape a few months ago and it broke down and left me stranded on the 295 just two days after I purchased the thing! Cars, old or new... they are mechanical. And they will break down eventually. Just feel fortunate, that these old Z's are easy to work on, with simple systems, and solid engines. Unlike many newer cars where you can't even work on them without a fancy computer or paying lots of $$$ just to get them back on the road. While being a driver, you have to often be the crew chief too, so when they break, its all on you. That's how I look at it anyways.

But I also get how you feel. I think I can speak for everyone too. These cars are fun to have, a blast to drive, and prone to breaking down... a lot. But, the fun and enjoyment always out-weighs the breakdown and frustration. Nothing satisfies me more than being able to fix my Z on the road and get her home after a breakdown.
Doesn't always workout that way, but when it does... its deeply satisfying.

I wish you and all who grace these pages the best of luck and good fun in whichever Z you are driving, wherever you are. Keep 'em on the road.

Bon

·
Registered
274 Posts
Owned my 1971 240Z since 1987. My dream car in junior high school. I was 13 in 1970 when I saw John Morton's race 240Z on the cover of AutoWeek magazine (back when it was more like a newspaper and was weekly). Wanted one from that day on.

The car now has 282,000 miles and drives as good as ever. Original engine. It has had minor rust issues, but never any major mechanical issues and has only been towed 3 times in the 34+ years I've owned it. The only time it left me on the side of the road was due to a broken coil wire plug. Thankfully I was able to coast to safety on the side of the interstate, get it to hold long enough to get some tape at a nearby store, and she made it home safely. Other times were starting issues (starter crapped out, alternator locked up) so no drama there.

Still my favorite car and I have no plans to part with it.

I also have a 1995 300ZX Twin Turbo, and a 2017 Corvette Grand Sport, 2019 Mercedes SL450 and 2020 Genesis G90. The 300ZX is a whole other experience (costly parts and maintenance, but I expected that), but I still like it too after 4 years of ownership.

I do not work on my cars other than minor stuff if I can. Crawford Z Car Service here in Nashville has been my two Z car's go-to shop since 1987, and never a disappointment with anything they've done or recommended over all those years.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Welcome!

To begin your experience journey, start here and begin reading.... this is mandatory reading!

www.xenonzcar.com

Bon

Reactions: pentode
1 - 5 of 5 Posts