ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to buy a 1971 240z, and just wanted to ask you guys a few questions about them. First off, how do the ride going to the highway at 75 mph+ (it's a 4 speed manual tranny)? How much horsepower is the stock engine good for? And what kind of mods can I do to it?? Also, what should I check out when buying one?? Thanks a lot.

-josh

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Welcome to the party,pal. The stock rating for the 240 was 151 HP. This can be upped considerably. Headers, tuned SU carbs, triple Weber setup, cam, all the normal mods you can do to motor. The L28 motors fit right in and can be FI and turbo'ed. A 5 sp. tranny is a bolt on. Check the car out thoroughly for RUST. Floorboards,rockers, framerails, around the taillamps, fenderwells. It probably will have some. Make sure the repair work will be cost-effective. As for the ride at speed, put on a front spook or body kit. It will suck the front down as you go faster and improve your handling. Good luck.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Try www.zhome.com and zdriver.com for more info re: buying a 240. Rust is your enemy, everything else can be easily fixed, modified, upgraded. Try to start with a car as free of rust as your budget can afford...

·
Registered
171 Posts
as far as the 4 speed on the freeway, its obviously not geared for economy. at 65mph, youre looking at 4k rpm. im planning on swapping in a 5 speed in the near future, i hear its not too hard to do.good luck.

·
Registered
192 Posts
The 240 at 60 MPH is @ 2700 RPM's. they have highway geared differential 3.372 i believe. And it isn't under much load. apparently bone stock the 240 is good for 122 MPH top speed, even with the poor aerodynamics of those parachute light housing...very stylish though

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.