ZCar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some suggestions here. I recently broke my OEM thermostat housing and replaced it with this one.

The Thermotime sensor, and temp gauge sending sensor both seated into the holes fine. My temperature switch sensor however fit very loose in the threads. It would wiggle in the threads a lot if it weren't fully tightened. I snugged it down a bit with some thread locker and hoped it wouldn't leak but it is dripping. I don't know what the thread sizes are on these sensors but the housing says 1/4" NPT and claimed to be the same as OEM. The threads on the original thermostat housing are correct and fit tighter and I have checked to make sure the old original sensor and the new sensor were the same and they were.

This is the sensor in question.

Anyone know of a thread adapter or similar sensor with the correct threads?

·
Registered
1983 280ZX coupe
15 Posts
Automotive lighting Font Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Auto part

I see that lower housing has 5 threaded holes in it
(1) 3/8" NPT (pipe thread)
(2) 1/4" NPT (pipe thread)
(1) M14 X 1.5
(1) M16 X 1.5
I have 2 quesses: You're either puting the temperature switch sensor into the wrong hole, or the hole for it was tapped the wrong size. Here's an image where everything goes.
Head Hand Arm White Organ

·
Registered
1 Posts
KMyers, you ever find the correct fitting? I'm having the same problem. 3 of the sensors fit, (but in different locations than original), Smaller sensor with seal ring does not fit into the remaining 3/8 NPT hole. I had a local hydraulic shop drill out an adapter but then you have to use a second adaptor so it s a bit ridiculous looking.

Gadget Office equipment Wood Audio equipment Cable

1 - 6 of 6 Posts