ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got 4 JL audio 6.5s for my ae at good guys for $180(reg $300) went to put them in the rear and they didnt fit! isnt the stock speaker size 6.5? they sit sidewayz/angled and can only get one screw in, sounds like s**t when i turn it up. how can i get these to fit? will i have the same prolbem in the front? i cant jus return them and get different ones cuz goodguys is closing. (no refunds or exchanges)

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
are you sure you got 6.5" or 6.75"?

Is the speaker to big diameter wise, or is the stock location not deep enough.

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
Yea, lots of people make oversized 6.5" to fit in GM applications, which is 6.75" rather than 6.5". Yes 6.5s WILL fit, I had some Xplod 6.5s in my 86 turbo in the rear. What model speaker did you get? If the magnet is huge and the mountin depth is really deep, the magnet might make contact with the sheet metal below the speaker mounting ring, thus making it not lay flat. One guy on here a few weeks ago had problems with 6.5s not fitting and had to get 5.25" speakers.

I had some Pioneer 16cm speakers in the back of my 300ZX which is just below 6.5", but all around the internet, that model is labeled as a 6.5" even though it says 16cm on the back label. Anyways it has MANY mounting holes and 4 extra tabs on the outside that extend beyond the mounting ring.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Take the speakers back for a refund if they're still in decent shape. Also take an original from the front AND the back with you in order to match them up with replacements. By doing so, you know you have the correct size speaker with the right hole pattern and it'll save you another trip. Good luck.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
What's this?

Woofer Grille Tray Outer Diameter** (B) 6.75 in. / 171.4 mm

Kinda looks like those aren't 6.5"....

Why don't you take a tape measure and make sure they're acutally 6.5"ers....

At least you'll know for sure..

And do you have any pics of you trying to fit them?

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
I think I see the problem. They only have 4 mounting holes, where as the car has 3 holes. Quadking, aside from the holes not lining up, does the actual speaker lay flat on the panel? Because the 6.5s I had, have several holes drilled into the rim of it for several places to place screws to hold it down.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no the speakers sit sidesways only one screw fits

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
domdogg123 wrote:
> Woofer Grille Tray Outer Diameter** (B) 6.75 in. / 171.4 mm
>
> Kinda looks like those aren't 6.5"....

Thank god someone knows how to read. You've nailed it. Those speakers are 6.75" speakers, not 6.5" speakers.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Make up an adapter out of a small section of sheet metal, or drill a new hole .25" closer and just screw it down. a little creativity and some effort will make them fit fine. .25" isn't that big of a difference! If they were 9" or something I'd say your screwed but this should be pretty easy to solve.

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
Why do they label them as 6.5" for 6.5" applications, but fit right in 6.75" locations? You would think JL would put something about that on their packaging of that speaker to let you know it's for oversized 6.5" applications...or maybe I just overlooked it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
NO NO NO i dont know why everybody says that the rears are always 6.5 inch. The only speakers that fit in the back of my car are 5.25 inch.

Post Edited (Nov 20, 8:39pm)

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Dear God!!!?!?!!

If you take a picture with a tape measure, I will believe you....otherwise

SHUT THE **** UP!!!!!

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
RyGuy wrote:

> NO NO NO i dont know why everybody says that the rears are
> always 6.5 inch. The only speakers that fit in the back of my
> car are 5.25 inch.

You're retarded and don't know how to read a tape measure. The stock speakers are 6.25" from edge to edge. Which is a full inch larger than 5.25". Go measure any REAL 6.5" speaker and you'll find the metal basket is always 6.25" diameter. When you put on the cover/grill, it measures 6.5" total.

·
Registered
281 Posts
exactly.. Why are people always so **** clueless when it comes to speakers in their Z's??? 6.5" all the way around. period.

·
Registered
559 Posts
just get some infinity reference 6.5s and be quiet :D
they'll fit and sound good

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
I put 6.5" JBLs in the rear of mine, they came from bookshelf speakers I took apart. I know for a fact that 6.5" will fit if they are actually 6.5" speakers.

I haven't put anything in the front yet because I need to get the right tools before I try taking the door panels off to get to the speaker mounts.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Tools? what tools?

All you need is a screwdriver...

pop those plastic cap that cover the screws; unscrew the screws.
Take that light thingy off on the bottom of the door.

Gently pry the door panel away from the door.

Pull the door panel upwards from the rear slowly.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
It doesn't have those little christmas tree shaped fasteners that you need a special tool to remove without destroying them?

My jeep did, I assumed this car did too i guess.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.