Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry don't know what happened...

Hello,
I am having my cam reground and I would like to save some cash becasue i am running out. Should i replace the rocker arms because i hae been told by 2 people that if their is not much wear to just keep them. I have also been told to spend the extra 180$ and get new ones. What is the best way to go??

Dustin

·
Registered
74 Posts
RE: Sorry don't know what happened...

always get new rockerarms when replacing the cam in a L6 motor. They ride directly on the cam where on a V8 you have lifters and when installing a new cam on a V8 you should install new lifters the same is true for the rockers on a L6. They may not have much wear..but they wear a pattern with the cam and if the cam is changed and the rockers are not..they can grind some of the lobes flat. Then the money you spent to have your cam reground would have been wasted. Remember...when replacing a cam always replace the rockers and lash pads.

Lloyd "ewan" Tillman
Happy Z-ing

·
Premium Member
40,975 Posts

Topic line will come from your cam grinder when you take your cam back with flat lobes! Ewan's right, use new rockers and pads, and take the time to set the thing up right. In the end, you'll be glad you did! :)

·
Registered
1,826 Posts

When I put a bigger cam in my old car the machine shop "rearced" my stock rocker arms. I was planning on buying new ones, but they said they could resurface the original ones. Car has about 40k miles since then, so I guess it worked okay. Cost about $50 if I remember right. Setting the cam geometry correctly with lash pads is very important when running regrind cams.
greg
71 240z

·
Registered
715 Posts
take it from experience

I put in a new cam and used the old arms. It has only taken about 1000 miles to turn the cam into a metal stick! I screwed up and had to buy a new one

just my .02-Evan

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>Ewan is Right On the Money</b>

Dustin,

This is a fact... always replace the arms and pads or whatever comes in contact with a new cam. If you don't... I have seen guy's get up to 2k miles.... then they had a nice medal stick. Just like Evan said.

Do it right and be happy,

Dennis

·
Registered
625 Posts
Greg is right too!!

I resurfaced my rocker arms by hand with sandpaper THIS IS NOT A JOKE!! I have driven over 35000 miles and the lobes look great!! It can be done if you know how to do it properly , but if not take it to the machine shop and have them resurface them . DO NOT BUY CRANE ROCKERS THEY SUCK!!! They wear out quick and break in two!! That is the reason I ended up resurfacing my stock datsun rocker arms and reusing them with my second crane cam. Later,norm

·
Premium Member
40,975 Posts
RE: Greg is right too!!

Years back I got some remanufactured rockers and used new lash pads. I wasn't aware they were still available, so I didn't mention it. Those remans are still going strong as far as I know.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
RE: My .02$ worth...

....You can resurface rocker arms, however, After having worked with Isky a bit on my V8 cam, and Discusing this subject at length with Malvern Racing, I would recommend the extra $180 for cheap insurance. Think about it, you spent some money on a bigger or regrind cam, probably had some valve work done, maybe some porting or matching.... Then you wipe the cam or worse because of a bad rocker...
I lost a $5000 motor on start up to a faulty Rod bolt once... trust me... you don't want to scrimp when it is that little amount of money... The small parts will get you every time....$180 sounds like a lot now, but ad up the cost of the parts it could affect, then think about it, spend the money and sleep well at night....

Greg is absolutley correct on Rocker arm geometry... do it right or you will kill new rockers and the cam....

Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.