ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which model can i get this 4.11 r200 from that everyone is talking about?
i am gonna change to a 5speed in my 280z(i hate topping out at 130 because of redline) and would really love the increased acceleration from that higher rear gear.
if it's not stripping it from a boneyard car, where can i get it and how much they run??? also, is there any way for me to modify it to lock it up? i just don't wanna pay $$$$$$$$$ for the LSD in MSA.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I think you have heard folks talking about the Subaru R200's. Apparently on the newer (82-86 ?) Subarus, they started using the same differentials as the Z's for both the front and rear all wheel drive systems. I think if you check the archive section of Zcar.com, there is several articles and spec's on the Subaru differentials and the various gearing that is available. Plus - many of the later Subarus have limited slip differentials (LSD).

Speed

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
The R200 4.11 is found in turbo 200SX cars, years '86 and '87 I believe. The Subaru unit is an R160, not suitable for a Z.

If you want an LSD, you may have to settle for a 3.70 ratio found in late model turbo 300ZXs ('87, '88, maybe '89 I think) - they have a finned cover.

It might be possible to switch the clutch pack into an open R200, but the fasteners inside might be the wrong size, and machine work would be necessary.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
there is a 4.11 on ebay for 99 bucks but its not a lsd

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.