ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me locate a gas tank for a 78 280Z. I'd prefer a new, but would settle for a used in good shape. The one on the car is in acceptable shape on the outside but has been sitting for approx 7 yrs and after several attempts to flush and refill, it still has too much rust coming through the gasline. Unless someone knows a way to completely clean it out, I guess the best thing to do is find another.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Nissan has some of the gas tanks available for the '78. I was quoted a price of around $530.00.
www.zbarn.com has refurb gas tanks for around $350.00 plus your old tank.
Someone posted some info about a company that coats gas tanks inside and out with some type of plastic... could have been posted by JohnH240. They have several stores across the US. Check the archives for gas tank, fuel tank, JohnH240, ect. It was posted in Aug, I think.
Never take your gas tank to a radiator shop to be hot dipped. I did that and once it is dipped, no coating will stick and the tank will start to rust in a day or two.
I got a replacement tank from Greg Clark in Phoenix. Email him at
[email protected]. He will ship any part anywhere...
Also a word of warning about buying aftermarket coatings. Some people have had good luck with the POR15 tank sealer while other have'nt. You run the risk of plugging up the pickup screen or the lines with the sealer.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I have had this prob. before. The cure is free,at no cost to you,and envolves NO SEX, take your tank out,empty it safely,put about 6 or 7 cups very course sand inside w/ acouple of 3 to 4 inch yard rocks and shake like **** in all dirrections,upside,downside,sideside,you understand. Now empty all the @!#$ out of it and you should notice some ugly stuff aswell as the sand & rocks. Pure a gallon of cheap fuel or diesel back in & repeat all steps. This really does work but you must be very sure to remove as much debrit as u can,u might get a little trash through to the filter and thats OK as long as you check it from time to time. GOOD LUCK.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Re: http://www.gastankrenu.com/ n/c

rig something to your rear wheel to hold tank away from your fender and put your tank on with all the stuff in to clean.did it to clan my 6 gal boat gas tanks 2 of them jack up rear end and rotate away.use your yankee inja nuity. sam

·
Registered
664 Posts
I refurbed my 75 tank. Bought a few bottles of Naval Jelly and filled tank with water and mixed in jelly. Taped off everything and let it sit for 3 days.Emptied, then I threw in a few handfull of sharp stones and shook real good. Then off to the car wash to spray inside. I used some real good tank sealer, about $25 for a quart,swished around, let dry in sun for a couple days.
Cleaned the fuel tank guage arm/float.Sanded outside then sprayed flat black rustoleum. The tank turned out really awesome.
I used my neighbors air compressor to air back flush all the crap from the fuel lines.Put on a new/used fuel pump, new filter and hoses. Car purrs..

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.