ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading a GQ magazine and i saw this add for the new Mazda 6 Turbo! Is This Thing Gonna be a Problem for 84-89 Z owners?....im not going to smoke everything obviously but id hate to know that there is a peppy four door that could kick my A** on the road..... ummm im thinkin i need to prep my VG30ET while its out of the car to be able to handle this thingy...piston advice anyone? ive heard of BRC pistons and Probe pistons.but what should i buy to help me get more outta my VG30ET?

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
My car got its ass whiped by an SRT4 off the line, but in the 85 - 115MPH range I was still quite competitive. I'm just an n/a too. My buddy has an SRT4 and we took a little road trip out to San Diego a few months back. On the way home we averaged about 115MPH, we'd trade off the lead position just so one person wasn't always in front. I really was surprised though, because as I said once we were already moving like 85 or so he really couldn't pull away from me until about 120MPH.

That was the first time I had ever gone from San Diego to Phoenix in like 4 hours flat by car.

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
Yes, the new Mazda 6 Turbo is going to beat our collective Z31 asses unless you modify the car. A stock turbo car runs 200hp, there are modern normally aspirated family cars that are well over that mark now. Do you not think a sport turned turbo Jap car from 2005/6 is going to blister a Z31 turbo?

If you want to be competitve in todays sports car market, why not get a small SMIC of FMIC from like a Starion, up your boost to about 12-15 psi, and get all the extra ponies you can from like underdrive pullies, electrics fans, instakes, exhausts, and lightweighy flywheels? Then you'll be really competitive. Stock VG30ET bottom ends are known to handle 400hp. So up your boost and fuel and make 400hp, and blow that Mazda 6 off the street.

·
Registered
107 Posts
apparently the new 6's come with a 6 speed package at 274 hp/280ftlbs driven with an AWD drivetrain.... 0-60 in 6.2 and 1/4 at an est. 14.7... so yes they'll lay a beating on a stock turbo...

·
Registered
183 Posts
it's a turbo version of their 2.3 inline 4 right?? I'd love to see that engine in the Mazda 3.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think the one he's talking about is the v6 I might be wrong on that. but if it is turbo he has the advantage of turning up boost, 3in exhaust, chip, awd,(he will kill you off the line), 6 speeds(he will own you in the 50-100mph rang). so whats next? you can do what I am doing and drop a 300z turbo into the back of a vw baja. then when I own him, he will have nightmares about a bug beating his $20,000+ sports sedan. BTW I should have less than $1000 for mine, and a coolness factor 100 times better.hahaha. I leave my grocery getter a grocery getter bacause thats what it is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.