ZCar Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background: I'm graduating college soon and i'm looking to build a Datsun 240z because i fell in love with the design and heritage of the Datsun 240z when i was in middle school. Ive always wanted a 240z of my own, and since i'm graduating college soon i figured there is no better time than now to build one. I apologize in advance if this is the wrong forum to be posting in as i an new to this.

What i care about, in order from most to least desired:
-Reliable enough for a daily driver
-Zero to sixty time around 5 seconds
-Nice interior (luxurious as it can be)
-Good weight distribution and handling (keep engine light, low, and close to cabin?)
-Decent looking paint job (pearlish/glossy looking white or dark grey)

What i think i need to know:

What engine
How to go about building the interior
How much will it cost (Hoping to be 20k or less)
How long will it take

Any help is much appreciated thank you guys for your time!

·
Registered
61 Posts
If it's a project, It will likely not be too reliable. However, I daily my 280z too and from school and I've only ever broken down once (loose starter ground). If you take care of it and get a good foundation car, you should be fine. 0-60 in a 240Z will be, at best, 8-9 seconds on a completely stock engine. You should be able to improve this while still using the stock engine with a few upgrades (cam, intake, headers, exhaust) or maybe even buy an L28ET out of a 280ZX Turbo. The interior would be easy-ish to build up (especially if you can find a dash that's not cracked) but it's a tad expensive. Overall, I think you could build a solid car for under $20k. ****, you could probably hit all the points you want for under $15k with the right car. You'll probably get a lot more help from the others than what I can give you. I just figured, being a new guy as well, that I could help a tad.
Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts