ZCar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heeeyy whats up guys.
my name is Monica, just joined the forum, because i need some tips and advise on some things.
I boght a 1976 280z back in Nov 2018. I have stripped it, sand blasted it. and in the middle of installing new floor boards.
I had the idea of rebuilding the engine and trans, after talking to a few Z owners with the stock engines they suggested getting into something faster.
Last week i bought a 2017 370z 6 speed manual from the auction, car was a steal! let me brag. car has 17,xxx miles. came with Tein coilovers, and with a Tomei titanium exhaust! holly ****.

im using the engine, trans, wiring harness, and pedals i believe...
any idea what else i would need from this car to have my 280 running?
I do know ill need to upgrade my differential to a R200? and different drive shaft.
Need to make new mounting brackets for engine, and trans. reinforcing the entire body, indecisive if i want to put a roll cage on (just for safety factors) im not dragging it.
My question here is, any one have any idea of the issues i may run into doing this? not alot of vq37s have been done, and its alot more electrical than vq35s.
anything helps. thanks guys
my IG is; moenicaaa i dont have alot of posts but i do most of my posts thru my story when i work on the car.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
what are you trying to do? i mean what is the goal? what are you trying to get out of your car??
if you already have a newer 370, just drive that. don't butchyhack your 280 for no good reason.
if you really want to do a motor swap into the 76, it'd probably be easier to go the V-8 route. they have a kit available for that.
personally, if I was you and I was going for a motor swap that requires fabrication, I'd get an RB.

btw, the L28 series motors are capable of a lot a power. if you do it right.
head over to hybridz.com; lots of talk about various swaps for the Z.
also, check out www.xenonzcar.com for reference.

cheers,

Bon

·
Registered
2 Posts
A VQ engine swap sounds great!

I would recommend spending some time browsing through this guy's site about VQ swaps:
(link)
Since I am new member, this forum wont let me post links. So Google: Hoke Performance

Lots of good info and he is even selling some custom parts that you may need.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I’ve been around this site forever. I agree with bonfire. An RB can be tuned for a lot of horsepower and the electronics are easier, and it’s been done a lot. The bugs are worked out. There are kits for V8 conversions out there, but personally I never like the way they look in the engine compartment. But today’s v-8’s don’t have that ugly distributer there in the back.
Doing an 3.7 conversion sounds great, but unless you spend another few grand for a forced induction kit you will only have 330hp. Plus the throttle is electronic in a 350 and 370. No real linkage. But it sounds cool

1 - 4 of 4 Posts