ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I prefer solder and shrink wrap, I know a lot of people use crimp connectors and shrink wrap as well. Make sure to install the new connectors with proper orientation of the wires, there is a large wire and a small wire, pretty self explanatory once you look at them.

Tim

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tim. Yeah I read about the 2 sizes of wiring and some say the orientation doesn't matter, but better safe than sorry. If that's the technique you use than I will do the same. Hopefully fixes a few stumbles I have been experiencing

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Wires are usually backwards though, meaning large wire goes with small wire and so on. I still have an old cut off plug just to explain this.

·
Registered
357 Posts
i think using a crimp connector will make the circut have a higher ohm. and i think that could make the car run funny. I THINK ????

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
There's no real resistance issue with crimping -- the main

concern is how well the connections holds up over time and from heating/cooling and vibration. Soldering is a much more secure method and should eliminate many of the crimping issues.

Post Edited (Jan 1, 4:09pm)

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
Guys - when it comes time to do mine, I'm going to

go with the GM style (press to clamp) connector. I do not what to have to wrestle with those damned spring clips anymore!

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
They look like this....

Here's the place that has them -- site says that modification have to be done to make them fit older style injectors. I just haven't gotten around to sending MWS an email to ask for details.

<http://www.mwsmotorsports.com/products/product_info.php?products_id=41&osCsid=c65c832f24bf747194f52f297dfd0a87>

Post Edited (Jan 2, 7:54am)

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
The modification required is to remove the 'placement tab' from the front of the injector. Not sure if that's what it's actually called or not but it's the best description that I could come up with LOL. If you look at the replacement connectors from Concept Z, the notch on the front of the connector is off center, on the GM style it is centered on the connector. In order for the GM style connectors to slide over the injector you need to remove the off center tab from the injector.

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
Tim - thx for explaining it! That would seem to be a

pretty easy mod to accomplish using a Dremel tool. One of my connectors is pretty busted up -- think I'm going to order one of these and see how they work.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.