Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the MSA show this weekend and I purchased a set of their headers
with the Y pipe for $25.00. The paint is chipping off, I plan to have it sand blasted and re-paint the headers black. What is the best paint to use ? I noticed a 1200 degree paint at the parts store and I might choose that one. The Y pipe is in good condition but it is in two pieces where the right side slides into the pipe where it is expanded, Should I use a muffler clamp for that side or fit it in the correct position under the car and have it welded ? Thanks for any help. I have a 86 300zx NA with 251,100 miles, intake, muffler.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
"I noticed a 1200 degree paint at the parts store and I might choose that one."

DO NOT USE THIS! I've tried it. It sucks soo much. That paint flakes off and does little to reflect the header heat. Get the headers professionally ceramic coated by Jet-Hot. Get the 2000+ degree coating.

<http://www.jet-hot.com/>

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Well you screwed up a little. When getting headers you want to get the ones that are jethot coated. MSA sells these also and it's only 75 dollars extra. The coating helps keep the heat insultated so that you don't melt any of the wires near by as well as keep the under hood temps down. Also the coating protects against rusting of the headers. Some have reported that their headers rust out in 2-3 years. Also you'll find quickly with the black ones that they will look like crap with in a few weeks while the coated ones look like new years later. I have the coated ones on my 300zx and un-coated on my 280z. Lets just say there is a definet difference in heat between my 300zx and 280z. Also my 280z headers look like ****. The only good thing is that they haven't rusted out in 4 years but then again I never drive it when it rains becuase it slides too much. Do yourself a favor and exchange the headers you have for the coated ones or what they may do is just have you send the headers back so that they can send them out to be coated for you. You can use the high heat paint you are talking about but that paint while flake off in no time and also not give any rust protection. The reason why the paint doesn't work has something to do with the fact that the inside isn't coated. Do a seach on header paint on the 70's forum as I know I read it there. Anyway do yourself a favor and get the jethot coated ones, you won't regret it. Also I hope you already have intake and exhuast becuase otherwise you probably won't notice a difference in power.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Re: new headers install ?

How was the install on a Z31 assuming engine was in the car.

Rate difficulty please.

1. Easy
2. OK (only a few beers)
3. Hard

I already expect to bust a few manifold bolts.

Thanks

·
Registered
657 Posts
yeah you difinatley should get ready for new studs........
if you keep those headers get it welded..... exhaust clamp will work for a bit , but it will leak in no time....probably about the same time the 1200 paint starts to flake... if your going to do it, do it right......

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
It's hard. Very tight working space which leads to a lot of bloody knuckles, that is unless you have small hands. Also you are smart to anticipate breaking some studs. I lost three when mine were done. Also like bons86zx said get it welded to the exhuast, don't just use the exhuast clamp.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.