ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, i have a 80 z in the yard with the hood open and the valve cover off. the valve train is filled with leaves and its been rained on a lot. When i took the cover off a few months ago the head and cover had no oil stains on them (maybe it was rebuilt before I got it, it was dead due to fuel problems and body rust though) stupidly i didnt make the connection that this head was looking like it was brand new and i left the cover off. The cam is rusty and the followers are rusty, not much else other than bolts though. Now for the question

I want to use this head for a rebuild with a performance cam. With a new cam the followers, cam, springs etc need to be replaced anyway. Theoretically, even though this head was left to the weather for a few months, would this head be ok to use? Valves can be cleaned if they are a lil rusty right? And since the head is aluminum then it shouldnt have corroded at all in just 5 months right? Please let me know what you think. Rain on my parade if using this head is a bad Idea please! thanks!

·
Registered
241 Posts
go for it!! If you'r going to replace the cam and everything that goes with that, use the head!! It won't hurt to at least tear it out, clean it up, and tear it down. Valve seals should keep your guides and everything safe below. Mabee you should gut the car and have alot of parts to play with. Nothing bad can come from that.

Dylan

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.