ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not to start another SUV war but there was a new gas mileage study that was just released, saw it tonight on the news. The study showed that SUV and large truck owners seemed to be much more likely to drive at higher speed limits on the freeway due to the fact that they felt much safer in their vehicle. The study went on to further show that the optimum speed for the average SUV or large truck was 45mph and that after 65mph the gas mileage dropped like a stone. By 75mph they were running at 30% less than optimum or equivalent to cruising at 15mph according to their graph. Smaller cars on the other hand showed to be optimum at 55-60mph and had a gradual decline after 65mph to where at 75mph they were only about 10% less than optimum. The debate now was weather to increase speed limits to help keep traffic flowing becuase the thought is that a steady crusing speed, even if higher, is more fuel effiecent than stop and go traffic. At the same time many police officers feel the increase in speed limit won't solve traffic problems or help with fuel economy and just suggest that people slow down. Just thought it was interesting with the recent posts that have been going around.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
With my Cummins Ram I get 17-19 mpg regardless of city or hiway.And the speed limit here is 75.If i run 80 to 90 MPH my mileage goes up to 23 mpg.
23 mpg while pushing a 6000lb brick down the road at 90 mph is impressive.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Arubabill - I can't believe you drive that truck so fast. That's not very impressive to me. I'll be praying for you.

Post Edited (May 15, 10:07am)

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
If you're not impressed with a "aerodynamic brick" getting 23 MPG at 90 MPH-then you either

have no idea what the roads are like here in Az. OR
have no clue about IC engines in general.Or possibly both.

Save your prayers for someone who needs them....but thanks anyway.

·
Registered
15,301 Posts
I think only business's that need trucks should be allowed to use them for commuting.

We truly have to look at how combustion engine usage is fu*king up the environment.

I wish there would be a small quick, inexpensive, lightweight single seater car that was only 1/2 a lane wide so that you could paint a black line down the center of each lane and run 2 side by side to double throughput on the road. It would make communing to work fun and a lot like a go kart event twice a day!

I fart in the general direction of the fearful morons who buy big hulks on the rational that it is safer in an accident. Any fool who plans on getting in an accident does not deserve to drive. It actaully makes me hapy when gas goes up because I know it is hurting those @ssholes more than it hurts me in my 'lil ol' Echo :)

·
Registered
10,805 Posts
Blue, and its people like you that scare me wanting to take away my right to get 2 mpg in whatever I want to drive, start taking away my right to drive what I want ill just go ahead and hand you my guns along with my right to vote and my freedom of speach.

Post Edited (May 15, 5:35am)

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Blue, did you know that many states are changing the name of "accident" reports to "collision" reports? That's because in most cases, it's not an "accident" at all, but the result of careless or reckless driving...and I guess the large vehicle is a highway-driver's version of a rollcage in race cars: race car drivers KNOW that driving at high speed WILL lead to a collision...

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Somehow I think any increased safety of being in a "6000 lb brick" is offset by running 90 mph. What about the innocent family in an oncoming minivan that suffers the wrath of your 90 mph brick, when your non speed rated tires finally let go?

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
I wish gas would jump to $10. Then people would have to switch to bicycles. Roads would need less work, the population would be healthier so less taxes to support Govt health care etc. The bad news is the economy would come to a stop & it would cost $400 to fill the Suburban. I probably would bike to the boat & sleep on it. Good news is it's a sail boat.

Post Edited (May 15, 6:12am)

·
Registered
10,805 Posts
The same thing that happens when a minivan wrecks at 90mph into your SUV. Speed limits are there for a reason I dont care if you get hit by a Miata or a SUV them going 90mph is going to **** something up, ive seen the aftermath of a bike cutting a car in half when it T-boned it. Your blaming the SUV like they are driving its like putting the blame on a gun or the bullets in the gun for killing someone and not the person who pulled the trigger.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I think the US needs to follow what Japan has been doing for decades.
We need to tax cars based on their size and engine displacement. If you own a truck, there would be another extra tax added on!

I see too many solo drivers in trucks and SUV's that it is making me uneasy thinking that the higher gas prices were partly caused by them.

Better yet, we should have better roads. I've been appalled at how brainless those infrastructure men are in this country. I mean no offense to anybody, but Japan and Europe have much better engineered roads.

The problem isn't really with cars or speed limits. It's just poor road planning (i.e. traffic lights).

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I don't understand some of you people. What are are some of us supposed to do when we need to haul wood, go camping, dump run, landscaping, etc?

Some of us can't afford a little eco box AND a truck or suv to get our heavy duty crap done.

·
Registered
15,301 Posts
cville300zx I am not saying to stop all recreational driving with poor mpg engines, I am saying not to commute in them!!!

The problem must be prioritized and addressed accordingly.

Another thing that should be addressed is that insurance goes with the driver, not the vechicle. For example, one should only have to pay 3rd party liability once even if he owns 20 cars. He then decides what insurance to pay for each... that way you can own a gas guzzling truck for week end warrior fun but have a fuel efficient honda econobox beater for commuting during the week.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
>I wish there would be a small quick, inexpensive, lightweight single seater
>car that was only 1/2 a lane wide so that you could paint a black line down
>the center of each lane and run 2 side by side to double throughput on the
>road. It would make communing to work fun and a lot like a go kart event
>twice a day!

There are several options that meet your go-kart wish, but how many have you bought? What is your daily driver? Can you afford multiple cars & insurance & maintenance?

http://www.sparrowelectriccars.com/

Blue, it's the driver, not the vehicle. Do you think the same irresponsible people driving in cars today will suddenly become responsible in a go-kart?

People don't drive faster in SUV's because they feel safer, they drive faster in SUV's because they're assholes in any vehicle.

My wife drives an SUV because we have a couple of kids. Have you ever tried to take kids to school in a go-kart? I can guarantee, you can't fit two modern car seats in the back of a Honda Civic!

Although, I am fortunate enough to be able to afford multiple special purpose vehicles, I have MANY friends and relatives that can barely afford one. They don't get to choose which car to drive today to pick up the lumber from Home Depot or take the kids to school, they have to use the vehicle they own.

Your problem is you have the arrogance to think you know what's best for everyone else and it's falsely based on your own particular life experience.

Once you start living your own philosophy, you may gain a little credibility. Go out and buy a hybrid from Honda or Toyota and when the warranty is expired and you have to replace those batteries for about $15,000, including the cost of the new batteries and the 'HAZARDOUS' waste disposal charges for old spent ones you may not appreciate the 'value' of an electric vehicle anymore or it's benefit to the environment.

Until then, I'll quote TonyD here and say STFU!

Post Edited (May 15, 10:21am)

·
Registered
805 Posts
Arubabill - It is not that I am not impressed with the results. I would be more impressed if you were able to get the 23mpg at legal hwy speeds. Or, on a closed track with your rig.

I want to add my Ford F250 with 421 International diesel used to get 24mpg at 65mph. We're talking diesels here. They do get better mileage.

I am not impressed by a reckless driver doing 90mph on the AZ hwyway long enough to get gas mileage results however.

Yes, I have driven the AZ freeways and frankly they are better than CA freeways. Neither of which do I feel is safe enough to drive on at 90 mph with other drivers and their families.

I just came back from PHX two months ago. I didn't see anyone doing over 80mph. I thought that was interesting since I have seen the idiot truckers driving Hwy 10 at over 90mph back in the 90's.

Your attitude sir, is very dangerous.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I wonder if people realize that if they'd leave home a few minutes earlier, they wouldn't have to drive 90+ miles per hour to get to where they're going on time. I spent most of my career driving a small car on the highway. I can attest to the fact that driving 65 m.p.h. or less will save a lot more gas than driving 75+ m.p.h. And, it's safer. If I spent five or ten minutes on the road, big deal. At least I got to where I was going, alive. And I saved money on gas....

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
WW- " ... buy a hybrid from Honda or Toyota and when the warranty is expired and you have to replace those batteries for about $15,000, including the cost of the new batteries and the 'HAZARDOUS' waste disposal charges for old spent ones you may not appreciate the 'value' of an electric vehicle anymore or it's benefit to the environment."

-- I agree... Hybrids are a waste of money for nothing. Your best bet if you want to conserve fuel is to buy a diesel car. Yes, diesel will be my next commuter.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.