ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Transplanted 86 turbo into a NA 84. Using na harness with turbo ecu. Car starts, idles up runs about 45 secs and sputters then dies. Fuel pump is putting out 35 psi. Squeezes the fuel reg, ran but with a rough idle. Replaced fuel reg with new. Runs the same way and even dies with the return fuel line clamped down. The only thing not wired is the knock sensor.
Fuel pump stays running a bit after the engine dies. Turbo exhaust is not hooked up yet, just the down pipe.
Thanks

Al

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Is your 02 sensor matched up correctly? I can't remember if there is a difference between the turbo and N/a o2's but 86 was a weird year.

What does your timing look like?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Possibly a mass air flow sensor??

They can cause a start and die situation. On most sensors you can just unplug it and start the engine and it will idle ok, but not accelerate.

But...

A note of caution, on some air flow meters unplugging them and starting them can cause feedlack and burn up the circut in the ecm. I don't know about Z's specifically...

Mabey someone else has done it before or knows better.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Changed the AFS or MAF and it runs on it's own. If I disconect the air sensor it idles at 800 but won't take gas. We fine tuned it to 18. Purrs a lot better. With no exhaust, the O2 sensor may be not working correctly?
Thanks for the help.
P.S. For some strange reason my confusser won't read PDF files. ouls someone send me a clue where the knock sensor ties into the harness or the pin readout.
Al

·
Registered
373 Posts
I had the same problem with my 84 N/A and it turned out to be the computer I replaced it with one out of an 90 modle and it worked and still is working fine make dure the moters look exactly the same no turbo though.

If you do a search on runs 40 seconds then dies you will see my post on it. Hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.