ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 83 280ZXT with the hydraulic head (P99). I have four bad rocker arms and I found new ones for $24.00 each. I also found a crate engine for $2,000. I was planning on a rebuild anyway ( I have never done a rebuild). So my question is whether or not the crate engine is worth it or should I just go for a rebuild on my current engine?
Thanks for any ideas

·
Registered
13 Posts
Why do you drop a small block chevy in there?? Thats what i am thinkging of doing with my 83zxt!! Good luck man on whatever you do.

·
Registered
58 Posts
i say go for the rebuild, that way u can add some extras along the way. i find it to be better and funner adding to what u got than putting a chevy in there, thats like cheating,,it isnot a true Z then! my advice is the rebuild,,but if u dont' want more power then i would say the crate.

my 2 cents

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Yo Jokerswylde.
You never state a "chevy" crate engine so why do Harlszx and Patricjxclee assume this is the engine under consideration ??? Okay, there are Nissan/Datsun/MotorSports crate engines for Z cars. These engines generally are very well built and even come with some guarantees as to longetivity and usage. For the money I'd go for the Z crate. You know it'll be good 100thousand miles down the road and from such a reputable company as MotorSports you know it will be built to exacting original standards. Now, should you have the time ( down time...) to redo your own rebuild then with tools and a garage and patience you should be able to complete a stock rebuild in approximately 3weeks time. Mostly its sending out the block and cam to a quality machine shop to insure cleaned and open oil passages and a properly done regrind on the cam. Most of anything else is not forgeting where which bolt and nut went and having a good valves spring compressor and not getting stuck with the enaviable broken/stuck stud or bolt, espicially those at the timing chain frontside of the engine. Either choice is a simple one to make and both require money. Goodluck. shane-

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you're going to start from scratch you should know your options. you may already know them but, If it were me...I would rebuild and use the money you would spend on a crate engine to pick and chose some performance options.

You could turn your 2.8 into a 3.0 by using the LD28 crank and boring over. Have the head swapped for an older non-hydrolic head, ported, new valves, springs, etc. With the price of pistons, used crank, head work, gaskets, berrings, valves......you could do it all yourself for well under 2,000 and you'll have the satisfaction of knowing you built it yourself to the specs you wanted. If I only had that kind of money.....

Have fun whatever you do!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.