ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just got my engine back from the shop after a rebuild and am in the process of running it in. It is fuming alot from the rocker cover,crankcase vent and dipstick well. Is this normal,. the previous engine did not exhibit these problems. If this is normal what is the best way to deal with the fumes when you are running triple Webers and cannot vent to the air intake.Please advise, thanks

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
This is normal for freshly rebuilt engines. All of the gasket material and lubricants used to put the thing back together are making the fumes. It should not last very long and if it does, you should make sure all of your bolts are tightened to proper torque and the correct gaskets are in place.

Steve

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: New engine fuming</b>

Hi Chris,

The fumes are mainly from blow by on your piston rings. They haven't seated completely yet. This is normal at this time. If you don't see a decrease by the time you hit 500 miles, I would start to be concerned.

Drive the car with care till you hit the 500 mile mark and try not to hold any rpm for a long distance of time. I like to roll up to the speed limit and then slowly increase my speed by 1-2 mph until I'm about 10 mph over the limit. The I slowly back it off till I'm about 2-4 mph under the limit. Then repeat the process. This will drive the people behind ya nuts... So I try to get as much freeway time in that I can.

Good Luck and keep an eye on the oil and water levels.

Dennis

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Sometimes longer than 500 miles

Chris,

Depending on the assembly lube and cylinder finish, it may take considerably longer than 500 miles for the rings to seat. I just finished a rebuild on a Toyota 22re truck engine. Used an extra fine hone and moly rings. It was about 3000 miles before the oil consumption finally stoped.

Rod

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.