ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished my turbo swap. Got the engine wrangled into the car and everything hooked up last weekend. Filled with 4 1/4 quarts of oil and cranked her up. Good news is that engine sounds great. Bad news is engine is spewing oil from behind the crankshaft timing gear. I used a new seal between the oil pump and crankshaft, but oil is not dripping, its flying out of there. This oil pump did work fine before the engine was rebuilt. Any ideas on why its now spewing oil??? Anyone have this issue before?

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
sorry man I can't help but that sure doesn't sound good!!! did you rebuild it or a shop did it for you???
are you SURE you didn't forget to put in the little seal???

·
Registered
17 Posts
it could be that the seal wasn't completely installed, or that it was put in at an angle or somehow split or creased in installation. the only way to tell for sure is to take the gear off and look at it. I know, taking off the t-belt is a pain, but slinging loads of oil isn't good for the belt, or the engine... ;-)

Brian

·
Registered
782 Posts
This happened to me before... I put in a new seal but while sliding on the oil pump to the crank shaft, I must have knocked the garter spring off the seal that runs around the inside of the seal and caused it to not seal on the crankshaft. It sucked after putting it together and then seeing oil drain off the lip of the oil pan. Also check to make sure you did not scratch the surface of the oil pump when removing the old seal since they are aluminum and can be easily scratched by prying out a seal with a screw driver causing it to leak on the outer edge. If its scratched just rub a thin coat of silicone around the seal and in the pump before knocking it in. also add a very light coat of grease to the inside of the seal realy light!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I have been working my butt off in rebuilding this engine and doing the turbo swap at the same time. I am eager to actually start driving.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, apparently I am an idiot. Took the crankshaft gear off to check the seal and to my surprise there was no seal. Somehow I forgot to put that on. Long story short...no more oil leak.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
yeah, don't worry about it we've all made plenty of bone-headed mistakes.

Good to see you figured it out though..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.