ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
107,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a new clutch in my stock 79zx a few weeks ago. I had the flywheel resurfaced and bought a Autozone clutch with a throw out bearing.Well now it seems to be sliping in thrid and fourth gear.I was very sure to give the cheap clutch a easy break-end period(500miles).I have only put about 1,500 miles on it, now I'm wondering if grease has gotten between the clutch and flywheel,because I greased the throw-out pivot point and the bearing sleeve.Or is it the fact that it's a cheap clutch! Also if grease did get on the surface, should I pull the clutch out and try to clean it or just wait till it goes out and replace it(lifetime warranty).

Thanks
Jason

· Registered
538 Posts
been there done that....I returned the mdse for a refund, then went to carquest bought a diffrent brand same mechanic shop put it in, they did not charge me as I told them they must of messed up. anyway, diffrent brand clutch and two years later no problem
>

· Registered
1,760 Posts
Gotta be careful about how much grease you put on the bearing. Too much and it will sling it everywhere. This may be a stupid question, but is your rear main seal leaking. That will ruin a clutch too. I doubt the cheap Autozone clutch is to blame... Once the grease is on the clutch surface, I dont believe that it can be cleaned off.

· Registered
205 Posts
had the same problem with first autozone clutch/pressure plate but did not with second
will never get them there again
to get grease or oil off clutch disc (or brake pads/shoes)
1 clean thouroughly with rag and brake cleaner
2 pour a little bit of isopropyl alcohol on it
3 light on fire...........do not let it burn for more than 20-30 sec
4 repeat if you feel it is necessary
I do this most of the time and have had great results this way. I do it with every new clutch/brake linings I get to make sure all of the manufacturing oils are off.
also make sure to douse the pressure plate with brake cleaner to make sure it does not have any oils/greases on it that can transfer to clutch disc
a really old mechanic taught me this trick years ago

· Registered
107,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I replaced all of the related seals and installed a new slave cylinder when I installed the clutch tring the prevent any problems like this.I think it must be that it is so cheap!**** I even adjusted the free play in the petal!

thanks
Jason

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.