ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this is the first time I've been to this site, and so far, everything's been very resourceful. However, I'm literrally a Noob to the 300zx as I've only been farmiliar with the 240sx S13's and S14's. But For some reason, these older cars draw out to me more. So I'm gonna be buying a new car (my last ride was a crappy winter beater, aka Honda Civic 89' with a integra short stick that some dude on ebay sent me when i ordered a civic short stick for 5 bucks...). And well... needless to say, i'll be lookin at the z31's, If things go well, I might even buy it tomorrow. Anything I should look out for? I've been to zbum's site regarding this, but any personal issues to look out for that came up after buying the car? And lastly, (correct me if i'm wrong), the VG30ET engine is the stock turbo engine right? If so, can I expect to be able to get around 300-400 hp at the wheel given time, money, and effort? (my bro had a S13 with a s14 SR20DET motor with 10k invested and is taking out STi's, turbocharged firebirds, cobras, etc, and I'm also hoping it's not gonna be like fixin some 65' mustang where I gotta be ordering custom parts all the time for somethin like a oil filter but still be able to get enough performance to make those ricers cry and leave v-8's behind, stock anyways). Thanks for any input, opinions, and responses!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Yes the VG30ET is the SOHC Turbo motor. And you can get well more that 400 hp out of it, given time, money and patience. When I bought my car, on the trip back home, the alternator died. After $400 dollar to get it towed, and replaced on a Sunday, I got it home, sat for a week (had to save the money to get it roadable due to the lack of fund from the alt.). I drove it for a day after I got the tag and what not, parked it and went to start it the next morning, and the water pump siezed. But I also only paid $700 for an 87 Turbo with 133k miles.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
whoa... sounds like trouble getting it back... lol... now i'm a bit worried, turns out the dealer's closed today so I won't be able to get to it till Friday at earliest, but it's a 4 hour drive. It's a 87 turbo like urs with about 10k more miles. But hopefully it won't give me any trouble on my way back home given that I do actually buy it. It's goin for 3k, but I'll be inspecting it quite a bit. Thanks for the other info on buyin the car too Kruz, Chances are, I'll print it out and have it with me like a checklist... lol. (sometimes i wonder if i should've grabbed that 82 280zx for 2k... but there's a rust on the frame that connects to the front bumper the size of ur hand...)

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
These are 20-ish year old cars - definitely expect that the accessories might be nearing the end of their life-span.

If you are familiar enough with car maintenance you should be able to replace these items yourself at a reasonable price. I replaced the alternator myself for less than $100. The waterpump I believe ran $35.

I have to admit though - I would be worried about making a road-trip in an older car that I am not familiar with.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LoL excatly! I mean, I'm like almost 240 miles from home, and i gotta trust that this dealer isn't giving me b/s that it runs great. Though I'd probably bring some tools but it won't help if i need to replace something. Fixing it isn't my biggest concern as I'm farmiliar with fixing cars (import compact anyways). Its being stranded along the highway somewhere and I gotta leave the car or Call a tow. I'm spending 3k on the car in cash, i don't really wanna spend anymore until it's in my garage lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.