ZCar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to use my phone hands free and listen to the music stored on it. My son has a 2004 Ford F-150 and it has a 2 cup pop out cupholder that is below his 2 DIN radio. After heading to a ‘u pull it’ junk yard with 5 2004 to 2008 F150’s I found one with the cupholder lying on the floor. When I got home I took the stock radio/tape deck & ashtray out and after a day of tossing half of the F150 cupholder away, shortening the front of the ashtray support I opened up the ashtray opening on my 280ZX for the cupholder to fit. With everything lined up and making sure the cup holder pulled out and pushed back in I removed the radio/ashtray housing from the steel frame, epoxied the front of the cupholder housing to the back of the ashtray opening and clamped it. While the epoxy was setting I used spray adhesive to attach the aluminum plate (with new radio and antenna switch openings) to the radio opening and clamp it on tight. The next day after removing the clamps I bolted the radio/ashtray and cupholder housings to the steel frame. After shortening the cup holder front plate on both sides (so it would not cover there cigarette lighter openings) I epoxied it to the F150 ashtray support and clamped it tight. Now here’s how it looks.
Hood Kitchen appliance Cookware and bakeware Wood Stove

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,709 Posts
Do the drink holders fold inside when the ashtray is pushed in? If so, massive points for ingenuity!!

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On the 2004 to 2008 F-150 those 2 outside arms fold in and out and two lower cup support paddles fold down too. I only had to enlarge the ashtray opening 1/2" on each side and a little on the top and bottom to get it working right.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Everyday carry

This is what it looked like before I started working to get it installed. I did not use the part that mounts to the truck support (upper right corner) as the cupholder would pull out to far and interfere with the shift lever.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This was a way better project
Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

1 - 8 of 8 Posts