ZCar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1980 280zx Manual Non T-Top
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just picked up this 1980 280zx Manual from a local recycling plant the other day.
Hasn't been running in 10 years but I am excited to restore this beauty to its former greatness!
New to the Z community and the car community in general so any tips / tricks you'd like to share with me or interesting things about the car would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: I am currently 17, so I am also completely open to any mechanical tips that may help me while working on this car If you have any to share!

·
Registered
77 Posts
It looks really nice, but I guess you have to replace the wheels and tires of this car soon. Congratulations on this purchase, I am excited to know your plans for this beautiful car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks really nice, but I guess you have to replace the wheels and tires of this car soon. Congratulations on this purchase, I am excited to know your plans for this beautiful car.
Thanks, man! Yea the exterior is pretty nice excluding the tires, but the internals need some definite work. Spent the day today doing maintenance and trying to get it started.

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,588 Posts
Why would he need to replace the wheels??

·
Registered
1983 280zx n/a 5-speed t-tops
13 Posts
colton, since you say you are new to cars and Z's in general here is my advice:

1) Try not to break anything when you're taking it apart. Unless you know you have a replacement, or know where to get one.
2) Don't throw anything away (even if broken), unless you have a replacement, or know where to get one.
3) Remember that a lot of the parts and systems on the zx were made to be serviced or rebuilt, so you may not have to find a new pump or whaterever - you can rebuild yours.
4) Don't cut, pull, or ruin ANY rubber seals until you have replacements in hand. These are almost always hard to replace new.
5) Should be #1, download, read and understand the service manuals for your year car. Also download, read and understand the Fuel Injection Bible for Z's. These are invaluable and help illustrate and understand #3. One source is xenoncar.com .
6) There are tons of parts available for the engine, transmission, and drivetrain. Not so for the body and interior - except for junkyards.

·
Registered
1983 280zx n/a 5-speed t-tops
13 Posts
Oh, and remember to take care of that little plastic grill under the front bumper. They are irreplaceable, but can be fixed if you have all the parts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
colton, since you say you are new to cars and Z's in general here is my advice:

1) Try not to break anything when you're taking it apart. Unless you know you have a replacement, or know where to get one.
2) Don't throw anything away (even if broken), unless you have a replacement, or know where to get one.
3) Remember that a lot of the parts and systems on the zx were made to be serviced or rebuilt, so you may not have to find a new pump or whaterever - you can rebuild yours.
4) Don't cut, pull, or ruin ANY rubber seals until you have replacements in hand. These are almost always hard to replace new.
5) Should be #1, download, read and understand the service manuals for your year car. Also download, read and understand the Fuel Injection Bible for Z's. These are invaluable and help illustrate and understand #3. One source is xenoncar.com .
6) There are tons of parts available for the engine, transmission, and drivetrain. Not so for the body and interior - except for junkyards.
Hey man, thank you a lot for the advice! Just from the past week or so owning this car I have noticed that finding parts locally is very hard, so I'll be sure to save or rebuild everything that I can.
Also, I saw this website online, datsun-garage.com and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them / if they are a reputable site to buy parts from.
Another question that is a little more general, what is the general consensus on visual mods? (are they considered acceptable or taboo) I've seen some replacement bumpers that get rid of the bulky OEM front / rear look.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
regarding mods
generally speaking IF a car become highly prized as a collector car ANY change from OE is a down grade.
Personal style makes mods highly subjective as far as making the car look better.
Bumpers and Wheels seem to be highly personal taste. ZX's have not gotten the same love as The Z's have from the collector market, but collectors are fickle so that may change.
For me I like to keep things as OE as possible. things like bumpers add some weight but they also offer some protection from minor dings, plus you don't see them while driving.
Wheels and tires is VERY subjective. I don't like low profile wide tires on old cars, nor do I like "stance" mods. But that is just me.

What you should focus on is safety 1st fuel lines, brake lines, structural rust all need to be addressed 1st. Next you should focus on systems like gauges make sure you don't destroy the engine by starving oil or over heating.

Deviation from stock means you will not have the FSM to use a guide if something is modified.

example, I would put in a new rad before I bothered with a bumper mod (assuming the rad looks pluged which it likely is).

make sure the charging sys is working as designed. staying OE will make trouble shooting easier.
cutting up the wiring harness to adding aftermarket stuff again makes trouble shooting more difficult.

and the most important thing, KEEP A FIRE EXTINGUISHER IN THE CAR...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
regarding mods
generally speaking IF a car become highly prized as a collector car ANY change from OE is a down grade.
Personal style makes mods highly subjective as far as making the car look better.
Bumpers and Wheels seem to be highly personal taste. ZX's have not gotten the same love as The Z's have from the collector market, but collectors are fickle so that may change.
For me I like to keep things as OE as possible. things like bumpers add some weight but they also offer some protection from minor dings, plus you don't see them while driving.
Wheels and tires is VERY subjective. I don't like low profile wide tires on old cars, nor do I like "stance" mods. But that is just me.

What you should focus on is safety 1st fuel lines, brake lines, structural rust all need to be addressed 1st. Next you should focus on systems like gauges make sure you don't destroy the engine by starving oil or over heating.

Deviation from stock means you will not have the FSM to use a guide if something is modified.

example, I would put in a new rad before I bothered with a bumper mod (assuming the rad looks pluged which it likely is).

make sure the charging sys is working as designed. staying OE will make trouble shooting easier.
cutting up the wiring harness to adding aftermarket stuff again makes trouble shooting more difficult.

and the most important thing, KEEP A FIRE EXTINGUISHER IN THE CAR...
Thanks! I will buy a fire extinguisher ASAP. Do you recommend that I replace all fuel, brake lines? or just check them over to make sure that they are okay?
As for the rad, do you recommend an aftermarket one with electric fans or just an OE replacement? I like the idea of an aftermarket rad but I'm not trying to go overkill because I'm not currently planning on adding many engine mods that would require it.
Also, are there any specific places or websites that would sell somewhat plug-and-play replacements for wiring harness and fuse boxes etc? I just don't like how much exposed wire mine has currently.
Because I'm not sure my true intentions with the exterior right now, my gut tells me that it is best to stay stock exterior-wise for the time being. That being said, I don't think that I would ever sell this car so exterior mods are not out of question for me.

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,588 Posts
I wouldn't mess with the wiring harness or fuse box unless there is a specific fault. They work fine, and they on cars with 200,000 plus miles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts