ZCar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

This past weekend I was finally able to achieve a lifelong dream of mine. I finally was in a position to pick up a Z and found, what I believe to be, a super clean example in Wisconsin. It was originally a California car, purchased 25 years ago from the original owner by its second owner, now owned by me. The body/frame has zero rust (aside from a small area that was fixed by the side mirror). The engine hasn't been started in about 15 years, so I have some work ahead of me to get it running, but I feel confident that it will turn over once I replace all of the fluids with fresh stuff and do some of the much-needed maintenance. I believe that I got a great deal considering the shape of the frame and a pickup truck full of spare parts; including original blue CA plates, 4 or 5 sets of hub caps (incl a couple sets of the grey ones), headlight covers, dash cover, brand new leather seat covers, NOS radio, a new set of emblems, rear bumper bar add-on piece of some sort, some funky space-age looking bubble acrylic rain deflectors for the side windows, and a bunch of other stuff that I still need to sort through. Everything to put the car completely together is there 2x over. I've done several different builds over the years and am really looking forward to completing a clean OEM+ type build on this 280Z. It'll eventually get passed down to my son, but he's only 1, so I still have many years of enjoyment with it :D.

Let me know your thoughts and how you think I did. I'm proud to finally be a part of the Datsun family, and hope to have her fully road-worthy come spring.

1976 Datsun 280Z 4-speed manual, 50,000 original miles, unmodified, clean title

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Window

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Car Vehicle Tire Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

Tire Car Wheel Cloud Vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Car Tire Vehicle Hood Wheel

Motor vehicle Car Vehicle Hood Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle registration plate Bumper Automotive exterior

· Registered
424 Posts
Awesome car. Take your time, do some research, look at pilgrims tips on first start after years of storage and most of all ENJOY the car. Zee you on the road.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Everyone!

So some updates…

I got the car running! Fresh gas, new oil, new fuel pump, and cleaned all the grounds and contacts in the ignition system and she fired right up! Feeling really good about that and have taken some time to start cleaning up the exterior these past few days. The paint is sooo hazy. So far I have done a 3-step paint correction process to bring the paint back to life and am really happy with the results thus far. Hood and passenger fender done so far.

my goal at this point is to get the car cleaned up and running to enjoy it on the street a little bit next year when the nice weather hits. Then compile parts over the next year to do the suspension, wheels/tires, appearance bits like front lip, spoiler, etc.

Next things to do in order for it to be able to drive under its own power is brake master cylinder, clutch master cylinder, new hoses, fresh fluids in trans and diff. Then i think it will be driveable. Right now i have no pedal pressure in either, even after attempting to flush in new fluids.

i began removing the chrome door ding moldings. I am going to replace with some pinstriping for the timebeing. I just really dont like how the chrome pieces look, so this will need to be a solution for now until I can have the car repainted in a few years. Its not a perfect solution, but I think it looks better for $15. I removed the front bumper for now so that I can continue detailing everything. I would really like to leave it off permanently, but I dont know that this car can pull of that look just yet.

here are some pictures of my progress.
Speedometer Light Car Gauge Steering part

Hood Motor vehicle Light Automotive tire Automotive design

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive design

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Land vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior

Car Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle Hood

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

· Registered
12 Posts
Hey Everyone!

So some updates…

I got the car running! Fresh gas, new oil, new fuel pump, and cleaned all the grounds and contacts in the ignition system and she fired right up! Feeling really good about that and have taken some time to start cleaning up the exterior these past few days. The paint is sooo hazy. So far I have done a 3-step paint correction process to bring the paint back to life and am really happy with the results thus far. Hood and passenger fender done so far.

my goal at this point is to get the car cleaned up and running to enjoy it on the street a little bit next year when the nice weather hits. Then compile parts over the next year to do the suspension, wheels/tires, appearance bits like front lip, spoiler, etc.

Next things to do in order for it to be able to drive under its own power is brake master cylinder, clutch master cylinder, new hoses, fresh fluids in trans and diff. Then i think it will be driveable. Right now i have no pedal pressure in either, even after attempting to flush in new fluids.

i began removing the chrome door ding moldings. I am going to replace with some pinstriping for the timebeing. I just really dont like how the chrome pieces look, so this will need to be a solution for now until I can have the car repainted in a few years. Its not a perfect solution, but I think it looks better for $15. I removed the front bumper for now so that I can continue detailing everything. I would really like to leave it off permanently, but I dont know that this car can pull of that look just yet.

here are some pictures of my progress.
View attachment 112011
View attachment 112009
View attachment 112018
View attachment 112017
View attachment 112016
View attachment 112015
View attachment 112012
View attachment 112014
View attachment 112013
View attachment 112010
**** of a find,I was thinking about painting my 77 a color similar to that one,she's looking good!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts