ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

What do i need to use to neutralise battery acid which has gone on to the bodywork?? It has already started to eat the metal. I think that water wasn't good enough. The acid leaked from my battery due to an over active regulator. Someone mentioned baking soda but is this just to clean the contacts of the battery?? Or will this neutralise the acid on the bodywork.

Thanks.

· Registered
1,986 Posts
Take some baking soda and water mix it together to make a paste then spread it wherever acid is, it will neutralize the acid. normal water is at a ph of 7 acid is low like 2 and bases are high (baking soda) like around 10-12. so when you add the baking soda to the acid it raises to ph closer to 7 making it harmless. Now when I had to do this I mixed the baking soda and water so it was more like water than paste, still got the job done, only problem is that I now have to go clean all the white stuf off of everything.

Josh

· Registered
1,910 Posts
EagerCrow is right. The POR-15 has to be applied to metal or rust not acid.
This is a nasty job. Use a plastic brush to scrub the Soda solution in to the acid. Wear eye protection and gloves and old clothes. The acid will fly around and it will eat up anything that it touches. You've got to get it all or it will continue to eat stuff; so, many applications may be needed if the acid is in the crevices. Use plenty of water between apps. and wash down anywhere the stuff flies.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.