ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does this unit simply T into the wastegate accuator line or do you have to mess with the other line that is coming off the turbo?
I just got a manual boost controller (not a dial a boost) and the directions don't really make sense to me:

What needs to be removed is the vacuum line from the pressure source at the turbo. and then it says Cap off the pressure source port at the turbo as it is no longer needed

Took a picture of the lines on my turbo that I am wondering about. Why exactly are two needed? They both merge into the single line that goes to the wastegate.

dave

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
> Does this unit simply T into the wastegate
> accuator line or do you have to mess with
> the other line that is coming off the turbo?
> I just got a manual boost controller (not a
> dial a boost) and the directions don't
> really make sense to me:

> What needs to be removed is the vacuum
> line from the pressure source at the
> turbo. and then it says Cap off
> the pressure source port at the turbo as it
> is no longer needed

> Took a picture of the lines on my turbo that
> I am wondering about. Why exactly are two
> needed? They both merge into the single line
> that goes to the wastegate.

> dave
Glad to hear I'm not the only one that had problems with that friggin boost valve from
Motorsport. All I know is that You have to cap off the boost relief valve on the manifold. Otherwise, the extra boost is going to be dissipated by the blow off valve.
I still can't figure out how those hoses are supposed to go. I'll let you know if I find out. Btw guy, check out my website it:s
<A HREF=http://pws1.prserv.net/usinet.brer1/zcar.htm>http://pws1.prserv.net/usinet.brer1/zcar.htm</A>

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
> Glad to hear I'm not the only one that had
> problems with that friggin boost valve from
> Motorsport. All I know is that You have to
> cap off the boost relief valve on the
> manifold. Otherwise, the extra boost is
> going to be dissipated by the blow off
> valve.
> I still can't figure out how those hoses are
> supposed to go. I'll let you know if I find
> out. Btw guy, check out my website it:s
>
> <A HREF=http://pws1.prserv.net/usinet.brer1/zcar.htm>http://pws1.prserv.net/usinet.brer1/zcar.htm</A>

I installed a dial a boost from Motorsport. The direction were alittle confusing but I did get it to work fine. You cut the vacuum line from the turbo to the wastegate. Insert the brass T fitting between the vacuum hoses(between where you cut). Then run the supplied hose from the T into the regulator. the hose comming out of the regulator is just vented to the atmostshpere, I ran mine towards the front of the car next to the Air Flow Meter. I did plan on tapping into my intake tract after the air filter but before the Air Flow Meter, but didn't have enough hose at the time, maybe next summer. The regulator is sorta weird. I didn't get any responds for the first few turns, then BAM!. I can change the boost from 5Lbs. to 7Lbs+ with only about 3 clicks of the regulator knob. I also installed the adjustable pop-off valve, Motorsport recomments it to ensure that you don't get too much boost (it also allows more than the factory pop-off valve). The stock valve itself was a pain to get out. The whole processpop-off valve and dail a boost, took about an hour. Not bad for adding what feels like 20-30 HP.

Good luck

Russel

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
> valve.
>
> <A HREF=http://pws1.prserv.net/usinet.brer1/zcar.htm>http://pws1.prserv.net/usinet.brer1/zcar.htm</A>

I installed a dial a boost from Motorsport. The direction were alittle confusing but I did get it to work fine. You cut the vacuum line from the turbo to the wastegate. Insert the brass T fitting between the vacuum hoses(between where you cut). Then run the supplied hose from the T into the regulator. the hose comming out of the regulator is just vented to the atmostshpere, I ran mine towards the front of the car next to the Air Flow Meter. I did plan on tapping into my intake tract after the air filter but before the Air Flow Meter, but didn't have enough hose at the time, maybe next summer. The regulator is sorta weird. I didn't get any responds for the first few turns, then BAM!. I can change the boost from 5Lbs. to 7Lbs+ with only about 3 clicks of the regulator knob. I also installed the adjustable pop-off valve, Motorsport recomments it to ensure that you don't get too much boost (it also allows more boost than the factory pop-off valve). The stock valve itself was a pain to get out. The whole process pop-off valve and dail a boost, took about an hour. Not bad for adding what feels like 20-30 HP.

Good luck

Russel

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
> valve.
>

I installed a dial a boost from Motorsport. The direction were alittle confusing but I did get it to work fine. You cut the vacuum line from the turbo to the wastegate. Insert the brass T fitting between the vacuum hoses(between where you cut). Then run the supplied hose from the T into the regulator. the hose comming out of the regulator is just vented to the atmostshpere, I ran mine towards the front of the car next to the Air Flow Meter. I did plan on tapping into my intake tract after the air filter but before the Air Flow Meter, but didn't have enough hose at the time, maybe next summer. The regulator is sorta weird. I didn't get any responds for the first few turns, then BAM!. I can change the boost from 5Lbs. to 7Lbs+ with only about 3 clicks of the regulator knob. I also installed the adjustable pop-off valve, Motorsport recomments it to ensure that you don't get too much boost (it also allows more boost than the factory pop-off valve). The stock valve itself was a pain to get out. The whole process pop-off valve and dail a boost, took about an hour. Not bad for adding what feels like 20-30 HP.

Good luck and Hold on!

Russel

P.S. The gas mileage goes to **** with the boost increased. Like it was ever that good to start with.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
> valve.
>

I installed a dial a boost from Motorsport. The direction were alittle confusing but I did get it to work fine. You cut the vacuum line from the turbo to the wastegate. Insert the brass T fitting between the vacuum hoses(between where you cut). Then run the supplied hose from the T into the regulator. the hose comming out of the regulator is just vented to the atmostshpere, I ran mine towards the front of the car next to the Air Flow Meter. I did plan on tapping into my intake tract after the air filter but before the Air Flow Meter, but didn't have enough hose at the time, maybe next summer. The regulator is sorta weird. I didn't get any responds for the first few turns, then BAM!. I can change the boost from 5Lbs. to 7Lbs+ with only about 3 clicks of the regulator knob. I also installed the adjustable pop-off valve, Motorsport recomments it to ensure that you don't get too much boost (it also allows more boost than the factory pop-off valve). The stock valve itself was a pain to get out. The whole process pop-off valve and dial a boost, took about an hour. Not bad for adding what feels like 20-30 HP.

Good luck and Hold on!

Russel

P.S. The gas mileage goes to **** with the boost increased. Like it was ever that good to start with.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Russel, I have a question for you since you installed both these items. Was only 7lbs of bost all you could get? Or was that because you only have the stock boost gauge and are not sure if you are getting more? I was thinking of the pop-off valve for my turbo, but where does that go? Does it go where the egr is located? If so I was just thinking of blocking off the egr pipe and relief. Then I would just install a blow off valve in the intercooler piping to releave the boost spikes and retain boost pressure. I hear this is the way to go for retaining spool up time and boost retention. Is this right? Help!!!!!!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
> Russel, I have a question for you since you
> installed both these items. Was only 7lbs of
> bost all you could get? Or was that because
> you only have the stock boost gauge and are
> not sure if you are getting more? I was
> thinking of the pop-off valve for my turbo,
> but where does that go? Does it go where the
> egr is located? If so I was just thinking of
> blocking off the egr pipe and relief. Then I
> would just install a blow off valve in the
> intercooler piping to releave the boost
> spikes and retain boost pressure. I hear
> this is the way to go for retaining spool up
> time and boost retention. Is this right?
> Help!!!!!!

81 Turbo,
You are right in assuming that my 7Lb comment was due to Factory gauge. When I crank up the boost the needle now goes PAST the red zone on the gauge, hence the 7Lbs+.

The factory pop-off valve is located on the intake manifold. Nissan calls it a Safety Overboost relief valve or something like that. You already have one on your car, but who knows it what boost level it's set, plus it isn't adjustable. On my 83ZXT it's on the top of the manifold towards the back, it was round, about 2.5 in diameter with a zinc(gold) plated pressed sheetmetal top on it. I had to use a pipe wrench and lots of WD40 to get it off. Motorsports said that with the adjusting screw all the way down (allowing maximum boost) that it was calibrated to 9 Lbs of boost. They told me that this was a safe pressure for a stock internal engine. When I turn the boost up I can hear it hissing (pop-off valve, popping off) when I'm on boost. I haven't heard any noises when I let off the gas.

I'm not sure how the EGR comes into play. If you screw with that you may have a problem with emissions. I don't know about were you live but Colorado (GO BRONCO'S!!) they test pretty hard, dyno testing, not just tailpipe sniffers.

If you go with the pop-off valve on the Intercooler tubing make sure you do something about the Factory one or you'll never get your boost past whatever it's set at (?? 7Lbs.???).
I would love to get an Intercooler for the Z but most of the kits I've seen are big bucks. I have found that on really hot days during the summer, the Factory knock sensor, to retard the timing, can't keep up with the highly increased boost, I do get some knocking and have to turn the regulator down a click or two.

I hope you have good luck with you modifications, all my stuff has been pretty low budget since I'm on a low budget. I did get some OK aftermarket wheels and a paintjob this summer. I also had to replace all the injectors $$$$$$!!!!!! and the Air Flow Meter, but that made a BIG difference in the preformance if the car, much smoother running.

Hope this helps, I'm no expert just someone like yourself who can't leave well enough alone.

Russel

P.S. Sorry about the previous multiple respondses, I found some spelling goofs and thought I had stopped the submissions.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
> Ok, stupid question, what is motorsports? do
> they have an web page? Also about how much
> does that boost controller cost in canuck
> bucks. Is it posible to make one??

MotorSports Auto is a company that specializes in Z car parts. Web site at www.zcarparts.com. The last time I checked they're web page was not complete yet, but they probably have a 1-800 number to get the catalog sent to you. They have a great cataloge. The prices are reasonable on most parts, but it's always worth checking around. I have found the service to be hit or miss, some guy's know their stuff, some don't. Just like anywhere.

The controller and adjustable pop-off valve cost around $100 U.S., they can be bought separatley though.

It seems as though it would be pretty easy to make one except for the brass T fitting that is inserted into the vacuum line. The T has a precision orifice in one leg of the T. This part could be custom or maybe an off the shelf part, but I don't know the size of this insert. The regulator is just a regular air regulator like used on any compressed air line, and the vacuum hose is just vacuum hose.

The pop-off valve is a custom cast part with a machined center and plunger with a spring. Hope this info is useful.

Russel

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.