ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aieee! Need some pointers on what to start looking at/replacing to solve a rough running problem my poor 85 n/a has developed :(

up untill I drove it to Seattle yesterday (3 hours interstate driving), it ran great, if a bit rough while cold. It would, however have visible black smoke at wide open throttle.

but after I got to seattle, it now starts extremely hard, sputtering and carrying on like that, till it warms up some, but even then, unless I feather the gas, the motor will sputter and miss constanly under acceleration, but it crusies and idlees fine. It's not very rpm based, as I can get it all the way up to redline with it running smooth under a very light pressing to throttle while driving or idle. If the gas is pressed down very fast or much at all, it'll start acting up, doing all the above and now blowing a good amount of black smoke out the tailpipe.

have allready replaced the plugs and filter when I got the car in Feb, will put on a new fuel filter, cap/rotor and plug wires when I get paid next, but beyond that, I don;t want to start shotgunning parts... too expensive to start that.

Any help is appreciated!

-Jake

·
Registered
95 Posts
um black smoke is gas, ur burnin rich, i had that prob, plugs werent gaped right, something is makin ya misfire, check the gap.

·
Registered
304 Posts
i had a very similar problem earlier this week. it turned out to be the fuel temapture sensor which is mounted directly to the fuel pressure regulator. the temp. sensor has to be replace with the regulator and cost around 70 bucks. i found this when i pulled the ecu out from behind the passenger side kick plate and put it in self diagnostic mode. if you have a haynes manual it will tell you how to do it (i dont remember at the moment). yet as chezam said it does sound like what the MAF sensor would cause the car to do if it was faulty.

·
Registered
657 Posts
i would check the plugs like Farva said....and then run codes........ it does sound like a fuel temp sensor problem........

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, had a feeling either the mass air or oxygen sensor was at fault.. didnt think the O2 was at fault because the problem is only intermittent. Will give the computer a chance to explain itself in a few days here, when I get time. Swing shift can take a lot out of a person..

Thanks to all that have responded so far too! With all the sensors and meters that started to pop up in the 80's, I just had no clue where to start poking around at.

-Jake

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.