ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some direction (read-all the information I can get my hands on) in the form of building a turbo charged 3.1 stroker engine. Which head and machine work I should have done, compression, injector size, fuel pressure, turbo size/boost, (something I can find easily) intercooler size, (can I take one from some factory intercooled car) and so on, basically from the ground up (more annal the better). I wanted to build the 3.1 to drive to Las Vegas in '00, then I thought why not the best of both worlds.... turbo charge it as well. Please help. If I can put it together in time (oh ya the money) you can see it in the parking lot...look for the gray/silver Z from Virginia. Thank you very much David Hall

·
Registered
567 Posts
RE: Turbo 3.1 opinion (long)

Dave,
First I've got to ask, what part of virginia are you from? I'm living in Radford, Va., which is 40 miles south of Roanoke. Secondly, the 3.1 is a nice setup (though expensive to build.) However, my personal opinion is that there are much better combos out there for a turbo motor, that are actually cheaper to build. I am planning on putting together a turbo block with a knife-edged-240 crank and raceprepped 240 rods, and some custom forged pistons, similar to the 240sx pisons for the 3.1, that have a different pin height to attain the compression I want (8:1, but some would think that is high). Overall my bottom end buildup will cost a fraction of what alot of people are spending on the 3.1 strokers, and they are using cast pistons! My engine geometry should be much more suitable to a turbo setup than the 3.1 as well. It will rev alot faster, alot higher and help spool up the turbo much quicker too. Of course this is a matter of preference, and opinion, and you may disagree.

I think the biggest bang for your buck in the turbo department is probably a t3/t4 setup, although if you want really high amounts of boost you may want to go to a t60-1. You can get an intercooler out of a starion, volvo 7 series, supra, or even an izuzu moving van! As a basic rule of thumb you can run up to 8 psi before you intercool it, but properly setup I've heard claims of up to 25 psi on an L-series motor. You may want to get a bell fuel pressure regulator to push your stock injectors to about 400hp (someone correct me if I'm wrong) or upgrade them to a larger volume (not sure what is a good size.) As far as the head machine work goes I am looking into this part too, and haven't made a descision yet because I need to stretch the money I'm putting into it, but definetly go with an HKS metal head gasket though. Last but not least you might look into an engine management system like a TEC II, or an SDS, or a Jim Wolf ECU conversion, though they are expensive (up to $1600 for the TEC II). It really boils down to the amount of money, time, and dedication you have!
Z ya round!
Tony Rohn

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: Where do you want to go???</b>

How much HP do you want to make? What about the 3.1 attracts you? How much money do you want to spend?

Lots of hp can be made with a turbo with a relatively small investment in motor work.

Rcr X '77 280z turbo

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RE: Turbo 3.1 opinion (long)

Toneyzxt...I'm in Staunton, Va. Are you going to the Tidewater Z thing on May 15th? Thanks for the information, if I could detailed specs..that would be great! What I am looking for is a FUN daily driver, any more info you find please keep me in mind. Thanks
David

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.