ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having troubles and I need some real quick info. I pulled off my gas tank and cleaned out 23 years of gunk.It looks real clean.now. The tube that leads out of the tank is clear ( I ran water and air through it ) but I can get neither air nor water to go through the return tube on the tank. Does it have some type of check valve or small oriface or something????? I tried pushing a small wire thru it (no luck).Is it supposed to free flow,or not. What happens if I cut that line in the tank? Please come thru ,guys.
I know...I know...I,m gonna get a manual ASAP (haha)
Thanks

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Will this help?

Don't know about '78 specifically, but on the tank I removed from my '75, all the various vents and hose attachments flow freely. Can't imagine what might be blocking yours, or that a good steam cleaning wouldn't have unblocked it. You don't mention HOW you cleaned the tank, but if you didn't have it done professionally, that would be my suggestion for the next step. I personally wouldn't get water anywhere near a gas tank myself, nor would I start cutting lines off.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Will this help?

gallon of carb.cleaner-sloshing around for 2 hrs.Water for 15 min.(hose at home ,to wash out carb.cleaner ) Car wash high pressure (3 cycles...soap and then regular water), alcohol sloshed around and dumped...and then high pressure air all over the place.Absolutely nothing is going thru the return line.Do you'll think I should continue trying to force something thru....air,steam,wire,etc????

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks .It might have a check valve but this is the return line so it just seems like a check valve would keep stuff from leaving tank ,not coming in.

·
Registered
972 Posts

If there is a check valve it would be on the suction side. If you believe you have one then you should be able to either suck or blow .. but I doubt you can. I've checked my '76 FSM and there is no mention of anything special here. So my guess is that it's clogged. This will lead to an overly rich condition ... how was it running?

ConorP

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Thanks for your time Conor.It was running rich (check out my earlier fouled plug queries).I guess I'm gonna spend my day trying to get the line unclogged(Draino anyone ?)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.